FEMA Drill Simulating Attack on Powergrid Nov. 13-14

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drill Will Simulate a Knockout Blow

The electric grid is the glass jaw of American industry. If an adversary lands a knockout blow, it could black out vast areas of the continent for weeks; interrupt supplies of water, gasoline, diesel fuel and fresh food; shut down communications; and create disruptions of a scale that was only hinted at by Hurricane Sandy and the attacks of Sept. 11.

This is why thousands of utility workers, business executives, National Guard officers, F.B.I. anti-terrorism experts and officials from government agencies in the United States, Canada and Mexico are preparing for an emergency drill in November that will simulate physical attacks and cyberattacks that could take down large sections of the power grid.

One goal of the drill, called GridEx II, is to explore how governments would react as the loss of the grid crippled the supply chain for everyday necessities. One example is a substation break-in that officials initially think is an attempt to steal copper. But instead, the intruder uses a USB drive to upload a virus into a computer network.

The drill is part of a give-and-take in the past few years between the government and utilities that has exposed the difficulties of securing the electric system.

http://www.spp.org/publications/13 - CIPC Brief (Harrell Conway Mar 2013) V2.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/17/u...rill-will-simulate-a-knockout-blow.html?_r=3&

Just another drill...
i.imgur.com_VJZXSGJ.jpg

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The power grid is in bad enough shape as it is. I was watching one of those "Crumbling America" type shows, and the power grid episode was the only one that really scared me.

Of course, weren't the Russians stress testing Chernobyl when they managed to FUBAR it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom