Learn me some AR, please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK....questions:

> What advantages are gained by going with a different BCG for an AR? I keep seeing stainless, diamond coat, nickel boron, etc. - Is there a real performance difference, as far as accuracy is concerned? Or is it a matter of durability/dependability?

> How much of an accuracy difference (positive/negative) is there when switching to a free float hand guard?

> Flash hiders / muzzle brakes....."better performance" or "looks badass"?

Thanks.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only real difference in BCG coatings is going to be ease of maintenance. Outside of that, there will be no performance change. There is an accuracy gain with free float handguards due to taking pressure off of the barrel, but most won't notice the difference. Finally, muzzle brakes are great for helping to stay on target for follow up shots. This does come at the expense of a significantly louder weapon. If you run a QD suppressor, the brake mounts will help with blast baffle erosion on shorter barrels.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
barrel harmonics - why rifle (Bolt) builders free float if you want the ultimate chance of results. Well, one of the main cogs in the machine. Going NIB-x to NIB-x in an AR is extremely smooth and can add longevity and speed through decreased resistance. The basis for all coatings for the most part. They are nice to clean as well. As far as durability, hopefully the prep and application was done as required by the coating specs. Thus, sticking to a top tier company 'Should' provide the proper base material / end product.

You could instigate mayhem here by adding the dolly lama of 'what lube' to use as an additional protective layer as well.

NIB-x, chrome, Nitromet/Melonite/Carbo-Nitride/etc, IonBond, Cerakote, Roguard and NP3/+. Cerakote - latest gen would still be my pick overall, if done by a certified NIC coater or coater performing to those standards of Prep and depth.

Accuracy comes from the full package of fitment, barrel quality / cut / chamber, lockup, crown, and ammo testing. (Now add the human and optics......) Not that Bolt accuracy is 'easy', just more likely due to the platform.

Muzzle Devices -- all comes down to what you want it to do or expect for performance. Too many out there and a huge $$ sink hole as Everything is stamped "tactical' and has a price tag to reflect. Plenty that perform very well and can look pretty 'ba'. (consider if you are going to add a suppressor, shoot cqb/indoors, or near people a lot. They will thank or hate you, or you'll hate yourself by going deaf). Try before you buy if able - if you hit the public ranges or 3 gun comps...etc

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK....questions:

> What advantages are gained by going with a different BCG for an AR? I keep seeing stainless, diamond coat, nickel boron, etc. - Is there a real performance difference, as far as accuracy is concerned? Or is it a matter of durability/dependability?

> How much of an accuracy difference (positive/negative) is there when switching to a free float hand guard?

> Flash hiders / muzzle brakes....."better performance" or "looks badass"?

Thanks.

For the average shooter these things are meaningless. Just a big waste of money by people with too much of it.
For a competition shooter every little edge helps.

Just remember, when putting on all this stuff and spending all that money. You will probably never recoupe your investment when you sell it.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the above. Love my AR's, but I also don't get caught up in any particular brand. S&W,armalite, bushmaster,colt,spikes,dpms,rock river,Daniel defense, yadayada...... They are all the same to me. I'm sure that some one will be along shortly to explain how some of those are "junk builders" and others are "high end", but I think if your gonna get into the AR-15 game, you just need to decide on 3 things; what barrel length, chrome lined or not, and 1:7 or 1:9 twist, then go out and find the best deal. Butto get to your questions:

1. Makes it easier to clean.
2. Your groups will go from 1.75 to 1.62 MOA. But make sure that if you go this route, get a quad rail so that your rifle looks really cool as you cheese grating your hands on the thing
3. Brakes work, but how much kick does an AR have anyway? And while some are just geared to the " it looks like it can rape your soul!" crowd, others are quit effective.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FF handguards are nice because there is little to no POI change when going between supported, unsupported, sling supported, etc. like there is if the handguard/bipod/sling mount is putting pressure on the barrel. The accuracy benefit comes from the barrel harmonics always being consistent from shot to shot.

For a good reliable bolt, the main things you want are at least Carpenter 158 steel, high pressure tested, magnetic particle inspected, with at least grade 8 screws on the gas key, and something to ensure the gas key screws don't back out, like staking. Some of the different coatings help with not needing lubrication so much, and with making it easier to keep clean.

Flash hiders make the flash less noticeable from the shooter's perspective (nothing can make it invisible from down range), muzzle brakes make the rifle recoil less, and compensators keep the muzzle from rising as much. How well they work depends on which one you have, but there are models of each that are very effective at their respective roles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the average shooter these things are meaningless. Just a big waste of money by people with too much of it.
For a competition shooter every little edge helps.

Pretty much true. Any off the shelf AR will run for the shooter that predator hunts, does casual target shooting, etc.

If you are into a profession that requires a rifle that runs 100% of the time to save your life, the upgrades are a requirement.

Competition shooters require nothing less.

As in any platform, be it a Savage SXS shotgun with some laser engraving on the receiver, or a fine English double gun that might cost $100K, its all about what the owner wants, and can afford.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
It seems that for my purposes the DPMS Oracle I bought should be fine out-of-the-box.
I made some changes to make it mine...stock, grip, optics...but it looks as if that's all I'm going to need.

Does anyone have an opinion on poly mags vs. metal mags? Positives or negative for either?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
It seems that for my purposes the DPMS Oracle I bought should be fine out-of-the-box.
I made some changes to make it mine...stock, grip, optics...but it looks as if that's all I'm going to need.

Does anyone have an opinion on poly mags vs. metal mags? Positives or negative for either?

Either type can be a good magazine. My personal preference is a GI Style mag with a Magpul anti tilt follower. I own quite a few of each though.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either type can be a good magazine. My personal preference is a GI Style mag with a Magpul anti tilt follower. I own quite a few of each though.

I also like the GI/Magpul follower mags too, but prefer the stainless/steel over the aluminum mags, no reason in particular. Of course, Magpul makes some damn fine mags, as does Tapco (shoot em before you start flaming them, quality is right up there with magpul, higher price point, but got a bunch in trade)

There's a ton of stocks out there. I like magpul furniture, it comfortable and quality. My MOE is just as stout/tight/solid as the CTR at half the price, but it could also be the quality buffer tube making the fit so perfect.

Optics are pure voodoo. Seek optics for quality, not looks. Sure, that NCStar/Bushnell might look like an ACOG, but both will end up to be really expensive lessons in the knock-off game. Same with red dots, they look the same, but that price difference should be a warning.

Free float forearms will allow greater accuracy, especially on a lighter barrel. As cool as those quad-rails look, man they can be heavy. The aluminum tubes are great for hunting/trekking guns. Lighter rails are out there but are priced to reflect the precision and technology it took to lighten them up, still, that full-retard price is worth it on a comp gun.

Muzzle devices... There's a million of them, all promising solid results, some promising even more blah, blah, blah... The flash hiders are great for low light/night shooting, but in a state that requires daylight for hunting, seems a waste considering the noise. Comps are great all around for shooting, but nobody ever said the standard birdcage didn't do its job. Most muzzle devices are sold on looks

Latest posts

Top Bottom