Budweiser in excess of 3.2% coming to Oklahoma liquor stores!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
High-point Budweiser products approved for Oklahoma

http://newsok.com/high-point-budweiser-products-approved-for-oklahoma/article/3883837

Published: September 17, 2013 by Nick Trougakos

Big news for Oklahoma’s beer industry came to light last night.

Liquor store owner Freddy Lamport passed along the news that high-point Budweiser products have been cleared for sale in Oklahoma.

That means higher-than-3.2% Budweiser, Shock Top, Rolling Rock and Black Crown could be available in liquor stores as early as November.

This move has sparked quite of bit of discussion among beer fans.

On the plus side, one theory is that getting high-point Bud in liquor stores could eventually lead to convenience stores/gas stations demanding they can get high-point Bud as well. In turn, that could lead to refrigeration being allowed at liquor stores. Once that happens, that could lead to convenience stores/gas stations carrying good craft beer. It could also lead to liquor stores being able to sell ice, soda, glasses and accessories like convenience stores can. In short, it could completely turn Oklahoma’s beer laws upside down.

In fact, the majority sentiment in beer social media circles seems to be that this is a good development for the beer consumer.

While I tend to agree, something about this makes me skeptical. Bud is not pushing this change for the benefit of the consumer.

Bud has an agenda here, and that agenda is making money.

Think of it this way: For years, craft brewers have complained that they can’t get access to shelf space in grocery stores and tap handles at bars because the BMC’s (Bud-Miller-Coors) of the world have squeezed them out with favorable distribution agreements and strong-arm tactics.

This move by Bud to gain access to liquor stores, to me, seems like an aggressive move by Bud to strike at craft beer on craft beer’s home turf. What makes me nervous is that Bud et al may try to swipe shelf space in the liquor store the same way they do in grocery stores.

If that happens remains to be seen. The key will be strong, beer-forward liquor store owners maintaining a good supply of quality, independent craft beer.

And just as importantly, consumers will speak in the end, and they will need to speak out in favor of craft beer. If that’s that case, craft beer and BMC can exist in the same space. After all, that is exactly what is happening in many other states in the country.

Hopefully, if this move by Bud accomplishes anything, it will be moving Oklahoma closer to modern, progressive liquor laws.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a conspiracy person but I have always suspected that brewers and liquor store owners have an agenda. Why else would liquor store owners want to control higher percent beer and let the brewers like Coors and Bud sell us the cheap stuff....only in convenience stores...cheap stuff at premium price??

Kinda funny how certain domestics are sold (lower alcohol) only at quick stops while other domestics...Lone Star, Pearl, Schlitz..and others...can be sold at liquor stores. What grocery stores can and can't sell..wth??!!

Bottom line..it's d@mn confusing!! Liquor stores can't sell chilled, quick stops can...no chiller to chill wine or champagne, no set ups sold in liquor stores..etc.

If one thing Oklahoma should copy from Texas is how to sell liquor and beer.

I just wish they'd get on it before I'm dead..not after!!!

I guess there's a start to everything

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
stop playing with my emotions. :thumb: I don't drink Bud products in general, but could be persuaded to switch if the price was right.

Someday, we'll get dice on the craps table and a real roulette table too. one can only hope.

thx for sharing

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be nice to drink a REAL Coors in Oklahoma. Believe it or not, the 3.2 stuff gives me a headache. Plus, I swear I can taste a difference. My mother-inlaw didn't believe me, so she and my wife bought a few beers from the grocery store and a few of the same from a liquor store.

I think it was Tecate, Modelo, and something else.

Bottom line, they poured the beer into glasses with only handwritten names in front of the glass.

I nailed each and everyone of them...sad to say, but I did.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the difference is slight, I notice it(I drink Coors, not Bud). Although I will be glad when/if they go to a uniform standard(i.e. ABV).

The ABW of a beer is roughly 4/5 of the ABV. A beer that is 3.2% ABW is about 4.0 ABV. This is a rough estimate because the weight of water and alcohol differ.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good thing about this is the fact that this could open the door to a total demolition and reconstruction of our antiquated liquor laws.

My wife isn't afraid to drink a good beer, but she loves the Bud Light Lime and Strawberry Ritas. This will make her happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom