Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though it was paid for by a private party, I agree.

Whether or not it technically qualifies as a First Amendment violation, it can still be taken as an open endorsement of one religion over another, which is not okay to do for an entity that's supposed to remain absolutely secular.

I don't much care for it (the monument at the Capitol), but what religion does it endorse? I know Christians want it there, but the commandments themselves are present in at least two religions (Judaism and also Christianity, which the commandments predate) and their general tenants transcend countless societies and religions. The specific monument in question actually has Stars of David on it. I don't believe it contains a cross.

This gets a big "meh" from me.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This nation and its laws was originally founded on religious beliefs.

I will just leave this here.

The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion

by Jim Walker
Originated: 11 Apr. 1997
Additions: 26 Dec. 2004

Many Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

Of course many Americans did practice Christianity, but so also did many believe in deistic philosophy. Indeed, most of our influential Founding Fathers, although they respected the rights of other religionists, held to deism and Freemasonry tenets rather than to Christianity.

Last edited:

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't much care for it (the monument at the Capitol), but what religion does it endorse? I know Christians want it there, but the commandments themselves are present in at least two religions (Judaism and also Christianity, which the commandments predate) and their general tenants transcend countless societies and religions. The specific monument in question actually has Stars of David on it. I don't believe it contains a cross.

This gets a big "meh" from me.

Since the Jewish community isn't a majority here, I was referring to Christianity. Considering the commandments were originally Jewish, I would imagine the Star of David is more to show respect to their origin rather than endorse Judaism. Even including both, for a Government to openly endorse two religions while not extending that courtesy to the world's other 5,000+ religions, is still wrong. Endorse all or endorse none.

I haven't seen anywhere stating that other religions may not erect monuments on state property, and I'd rather not see the lawn littered with thousands of statues and symbols, but if they allow it, fair is fair!

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tare it all down. Histery began on 911. Ferget everthin afor that. The banners that yalls forbears carreet are trampelt asunder. This generashun has no pedigree afor 911. The fife an drums that yore barefooted forbears ran to at Shiloh are silent...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This nation and its laws was originally founded on religious beliefs.

We weren't founded on religious beliefs... We were founded on the freedom to protect the practice of the veritable plethora of religious beliefs or the absence of said beliefs without persecution. We were founded on tolerance and freedoms.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

The Ten Commandments are from God. And predated the birth of Christ into this world. So technically, no.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone's gonna get sued, posting something outside a building full of politicians that says no lying, stealing, or adultery could be considered creating a hostile work environment.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yall go het now, reason away yore history. Deny it ever ixisted. I lak that. Next thang, yall be takin a spade to the cemetary, gettin rid all that baddness. What all yall come from an deny.

Latest posts

Top Bottom