Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last six commandments share much in common with all other moral and ethical systems that preceeded them.
The part that seems to be original is the first four commandments, the first four basically center upon how we should worship HIM. I think we could do without those. They don't offend me, I just don't think they have anything at all to do with the founding of this country. My solution, my comproise, would be to redact the first four commandments. This would eliminate about sixty per cent of the text, but what are you gonna do?

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The last six commandments share much in common with all other moral and ethical systems that preceeded them.
The part that seems to be original is the first four commandments, the first four basically center upon how we should worship HIM. I think we could do without those. They don't offend me, I just don't think they have anything at all to do with the founding of this country. My solution, my comproise, would be to redact the first four commandments. This would eliminate about sixty per cent of the text, but what are you gonna do?

Tare it down. Nuthin before 911. Time begins 2001.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What people tend to forget is that 'freedom of religion' is not necessarily 'freedom from religion'. Separation of church and state means that the government cannot be run by the church. It doesn't mean we can't pray in schools or have the Ten Commandments on government property. Otherwise, don't you think it might have been an issue a couple hundred years ago instead of popping up in the last couple decades?

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heeve it to the groun, slej hammer the 10 Commandments! With yor fat hairy bellies swayin with each swingin of the mallut.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What people tend to forget is that 'freedom of religion' is not necessarily 'freedom from religion'. Separation of church and state means that the government cannot be run by the church. It doesn't mean we can't pray in schools or have the Ten Commandments on government property. Otherwise, don't you think it might have been an issue a couple hundred years ago instead of popping up in the last couple decades?
I don't mean to offend. Just read it like any other document. It get's problematic.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

YuP!!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With respect to the history of this nation, not necessarily the founding of the government, please allow me to post in this comment a portion of the text of the Mayflower Compact.

Modern language: Wikipedia

In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and advancements of the Christian faith and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the Northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents, solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil body politic; for our better ordering, and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame, such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions, and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the colony; unto which we promise all due submission and obedience.

In witness whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names at Cape Cod the 11th of November, in the year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth, 1620.

Olde English: Mayflower History.com

In ye name of God Amen· We whose names are vnderwriten,
the loyall subjects of our dread soueraigne Lord King James
by ye grace of God, of great Britaine, franc, & Ireland king,
defender of ye faith, &c

Haueing vndertaken, for ye glorie of God, and aduancemente
of ye christian ^faith
and honour of our king & countrie, a voyage to
plant ye first colonie in ye Northerne parts of Virginia· doe
by these presents solemnly & mutualy in ye presence of God, and
one of another, couenant, & combine our selues togeather into a
ciuill body politick; for ye our better ordering, & preseruation & fur=
therance of ye ends aforesaid; and by vertue hearof, to enacte,
constitute, and frame shuch just & equall lawes, ordinances,
Acts, constitutions, & offices, from time to time, as shall be thought
most meete & conuenient for ye generall good of ye colonie: vnto
which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witnes
wherof we haue herevnder subscribed our names at Cap=
Codd ye ·11· of Nouember, in ye year of ye raigne of our soueraigne
Lord king James of England, france, & Ireland ye eighteenth
and of Scotland ye fiftie fourth. Ano: Dom ·1620·

Now, as to whether there needs to be a monument at any government location, I could care less. However, I see no problem with even non-believers adhering to at least the last six of the Commandments. As for Christianity, it took at least one of the Commandments just a wee bit further than the original text. Number 7 says, "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery." Christ took it further by saying that if one even considered another woman, it was sinful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom