My SAI Scout Squad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This rifle is not yet complete but here's the first step in the transformation. It started life as a standard Scout Squad in factory walnut furniture. When I traded for the rifle, it came with a spare fiberglass stock. It required some fitting of the stock prior to remounting the receiver and fire control groups. I have a Vortex Sparc that will be mounted onto an Ultimak low rail. I may get an absolute cowitness out of that setup but expect at least a lower 1/3 (I've been unable to find anyone with this exact setup as a reference). I gave it some Krylon love and am pretty pleased with the way the paint looks. I'm adding a Riflecraft reinforced loop sling, as well. This will be an all-around utility rifle for hunting, Appleseeding, etc.

ScoutSquad1.jpg

ScoutSquad2.jpg

ScoutSquad3.jpg

Closeup of the paint

ScoutSquadPaint.jpg

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Hensch. I used a tan basecoat (always) and then mixed or applied tan, brown, dark green, and light green camo rattle can paints. When I mixed the paint, I just sprayed it directly onto a paper plate then used an artist's sponge to mix the color until I got what I wanted. I then applied it with the sponge in layers. It wasn't hard, took very little time, and I got the look I wanted. I have to say that it wasn't my idea. I got the idea from a thread on the Hide.

I'm really looking forward to getting that Ultimak rail and optic mounted. I want to run some drills inside of 100m to see just how well the setup works, then take it out to KD and shoot the irons looking through the glass.

Someone needs to buy my Badger rings for sale here so I can get that rail :)

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slick rifle sir! I've been looking to build up a scout. My buddy swears by a 4x pistol scope on his Socom II for the long relief position. How much does it weigh w/20 round mag?

Latest posts

Top Bottom