My SAI Scout Squad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool... my .308 AR has a nice coyote tan base coat already. I was planning on adding some greens and browns. I was just going to dust over it with some stripes and dots from the can, but now I think I will have to use this method.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the Ultimak rail and Sparc mounted. This thing shoots great. Can't wait for more time behind this rifle.

Scout Squad.jpg

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surveyor, a thought for you regarding micro-type optics and forward mounting. Something that was a very rude awakening for me was finding out exactly how poorly these things to do with wet weather. Multiple times now I've found myself on the range shooting in rain, snow or a mix of the two and while it won't damage the optic the glass, especially the rear, will quickly become occluded to the point blocking all sight. Your ability to see the dot can be totally diminished as it is visibly refracted by the moisture on the lens. With the Aimpoint micro I found it because the lenses were slightly recessed they were extremely hard to wipe clean and when in a saturated environment that was never really possible anyways.

I was present with Joe Chen at 5-day pistol/carbine class during a beautiful Texas September where it had rained continuously for the week before the class and continued to do so rightup until the last day. To say that some lessons were learned by all hands would be anunderstatement and this is where Joe came up for the idea with the I/O Cover. While it works well to a certain extent one of my take-aways from this is that any optic that isn't the solely-dedicated sighting system must be able to be detached from the platform. If my optic is occluded by moisture, fog, mud or damage I can pop the QD lever and keep going… or, if its that bad, I can leave it detached until I think I'm going to need it.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

BTW, nice stick!

Ek :thumbup3:

Last edited:

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EK,

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if that might be mitigated by a fairly regular application of some Cat Crap or other similar product. The concern I'd have with a QD mount for the RDO would be whether I'd still get my cowitness. I'm sure someone out there makes a slim QD mount for that optic that wouldn't put a lot of height under it. Definitely food for thought and research. I'll probably do at least one class with this setup in the next year to put it throught its paces. Thanks, again.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, I would like to say that you have a very nice looking rifle. I really like the paint job on it. I bought an M1a scout earlier this year as well. I've always wanted one. I went a different route then you and made it my "precision" rig. I actually removed the scout rail and the plastic stock it came with and installed a GI fiberglass stock and cover. This rifle is definitely versatile.

My only complaint is weight. I knew it was going to be heavier when getting into the battle rifle game and stepping up to the bigger cartridge. I'm used to my light AK's and AR's. It's not unbearable by any means, just something to get used to. Again, I'm using it in a DMR role (which adds even more weight with the scope) so I handle it a lot different then my AR's/AK's.

I'd love to meet up with you one time to check out your rifle first hand. It would be cool to see how the rifle I own would be if I chose to go down the same route as you. Congrats again on a fine looking rifle.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I appreciate that. It's funny you suggested getting our rifles together because I've wondered several times just how accurate these rifles are in the Scout length. When I picked mine up, it was set up in a DMR-style setup with a Vortex and a cheek riser installed. I would like to shoot yours, as well. What bullet weights/types are you finding to work best and what kind of accuracy are you getting with them? So far, I'm just running M80 ball out of mine under the iron sights & red dot.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far, I shot this group with 150gr federal american eagle fmj. 5 shots at 100 yards. I just shot, re-acquired and shot again. I'd like to put some match grade stuff through it and see what it can do, but i'm pretty happy with it so far.

i77.photobucket.com_albums_j49_jakeums_photo6_zps107c83ff.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom