Packsaddle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that where they have done a major quail survey? Its been awhile back, but I've read some things about it.

Any quail left?

Yes. "The Quail Study" was done there (1993ish-1998ish) and OSU is going in to year three on a very large Bobwhite project that is taking place on Packsaddle as well as Beaver River WMA.

Quail numbers are a bit better this season compared to the last two but I am not kidding when I say that about 85% of all the birds are this years birds. Good hatches through the season it seems, just not a big pot to brew from going in to the breeding season. I believe another spring/summer like this ears and a guy might actually get excited about hunting them again.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if dragging deer there is that bad I may pass on it im not to much on having to drag deer up hill.

It can definitely be a tough drag out, if you hunt the river at all it is mostly downhill to the river and all uphill on the way out, lots of canyons and ridges in some areas. I have hunted out there several times, like everyone says it is beautiful country but there is quite a bit of oil and gas production in the area. Rifle can get really crowded but I have been during muzzleloader in the past and it was fairly crowded as well. Like at most WMA's you just have to be willing to really get in there as deep as you can to get away from the crowds, I have a spot I like to go to, but it is a serious hike in, I killed this nice 8 point there in 2009 rifle, this picture was taken before my buddy and I had to drag him out with a two wheel cart over a mile, it was tough and took us close to two hours.....I should have taken a picture after the drag......we were suffering and looked like we had just ran a cross country marathon in full pack and gear.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When did they start with the oil production? I think 98' was the last time I've turkey hunted out there. Nice sticky! Any I thought a 22lb tom in the back of a turkey vest was a load out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom