Two adults, one rifle, public land. what licensees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This topic was brought up at work today, and I didn't know the answer. So, what say you osa?

A guy and his wife: They have one rifle between them simply because they can't afford a second one. We have now taken them both hunting with us so they have some experience. The guy has taken one doe in his life, but he field dressed it like a champ and was proud. They now want to try public lands on their own in a blind together.

So, two people. One rifle, the guy has his license, and a tag. Can they go out and legally hunt together, or do they both need a Hunting license? I know they're not expensive, but their finances aren't my concern. They don't want to buy two licenses if they don't have to. I get that.

I wasn't sure how to answer. My thought was, one license, one gun, one tag. They should be good to go.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is how it has worked with fishing. If you are at the trout stream talking to people while they are fishing, as long as their is not an extra pole around for you to pick up and fish with the GW doesn't say anything to you. Cant see why hunting is any different.

Disclaimer: I am not a GW, LEO or any kind of law maker. Just a dumb kid.

fastadam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as she doesn't have the rifle in hand when the GW sees them. She doesn't even need to carry it or load it in and out of the truck just to be safe. If they want to be for sure I would call the chief GW for the area they will be hunting. They can find his number in the back of the hunting regs. they are always nice anytime I call them with questions.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As said above, I'd get the opinion of the game warden to be certain. My opinion is, if she has any intentions of pulling the trigger or handling the gun, she needs a license. If she is just there to watch and offer moral support, she would not need one. I would not think it to be right for him to have a license and the tag, then let her shoot the deer.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken my step son before with out me having a tag. He had one, but I worked the binoculars in the blind and picked out one for him to shoot. Then I field dressed the deer. I also hauled the gun in and out, but we never encountered a ranger. I didn't even have a handgun on me, so I figured I was legal.

I'm not sure how the law would have seen the situation.

Good question.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as she doesn't have the rifle in hand when the GW sees them. She doesn't even need to carry it or load it in and out of the truck just to be safe. If they want to be for sure I would call the chief GW for the area they will be hunting. They can find his number in the back of the hunting regs. they are always nice anytime I call them with questions.

Game Warden Directory by county.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/lawstatemap.htm

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a no brainer. No need to call a warden on this one. SO LONG AS ONLY ONE PERSON IS HOLDING THE GUN AND HUNTING THEN THAT PERSON IS THE ONLY ONE WHO NEEDS A TAG! The other person is just a companion/observer and is not participating in actually hunting. End of story. Its no different than taking a non-hunting friend/photographer/wife into the field with you. Only the person actually hunting needs a tag.

Now if the spouse plans on shooting too, then obviously he/she needs a tag!!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a no brainer. No need to call a warden on this one. SO LONG AS ONLY ONE PERSON IS HOLDING THE GUN AND HUNTING THEN THAT PERSON IS THE ONLY ONE WHO NEEDS A TAG! The other person is just a companion/observer and is not participating in actually hunting. End of story. Its no different than taking a non-hunting friend/photographer/wife into the field with you. Only the person actually hunting needs a tag.

Now if the spouse plans on shooting too, then obviously he/she needs a tag!!

No, they both need tags or conservation passports to be on ODWC owned or operated land. Conservation passport is a dollar or two more than a license but one or the other is a must now on public lands owned or operated by ODWC. A fishing license would suffice as well. Just have to possess one of the three and it does not have to be an actual tag, just the hunting license. (Unless otherwise exempt from a hunting or fishing license)

One tag would suffice on private land or municipal owned public lands.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, they both need tags or conservation passports to be on ODWC owned or operated land. Conservation passport is a dollar or two more than a license but one or the other is a must now on public lands owned or operated by ODWC. A fishing license would suffice as well. Just have to possess one of the three and it does not have to be an actual tag, just the hunting license. (Unless otherwise exempt from a hunting or fishing license)

One tag would suffice on private land or municipal owned public lands.
This is correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom