Oakland Raiders moving to Oklahoma City?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a long-time Cowboys/Chiefs fan, I can only say :hellno: to the Raiders.

With 2 major teams at our borders, I dont see this happening. Oklahoma is essentially split between the 2. Granted, we did rise to the support of the Sonics becoming the Thunder we all now love. I guess we will see if "Build it and they will come" still rings true.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the Raiders dangled this story in front of Sacramento a decade ago, the city got very excited. They raised local taxes and built a big fund to lure the team there. This fund was designated so that it could never be used for anything except for attracting an NFL team. Then, they raised more taxes to start on their stadium. They bought land (at a premium), cleared it off and even built the stadium's foundation. They spent millions on all this.

When the Raiders showed LA what Sacramento was doing, LA quickly conceded and met the demands keep them there. Insiders admitted later that the Raiders never seriously considered moving and that it was basically a ploy to manipulate some sweet incentives. Now, that organization may have changed since then and they might just love the idea of playing in OK. But, the the best of my knowledge, that Sacramento stadium foundation is still out there in that weed-filled field.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the Raiders dangled this story in front of Sacramento a decade ago, the city got very excited. They raised local taxes and built a big fund to lure the team there. This fund was designated so that it could never be used for anything except for attracting an NFL team. Then, they raised more taxes to start on their stadium. They bought land (at a premium), cleared it off and even built the stadium's foundation. They spent millions on all this.

When the Raiders showed LA what Sacramento was doing, LA quickly conceded and met the demands keep them there. Insiders admitted later that the Raiders never seriously considered moving and that it was basically a ploy to manipulate some sweet incentives. Now, that organization may have changed since then and they might just love the idea of playing in OK. But, the the best of my knowledge, that Sacramento stadium foundation is still out there in that weed-filled field.

Sacramento:
And during that entire time the city was fighting tooth and nail with the Maloofs to try and keep the Kings, who are still trying to get out of there because the folks of Sacramento really don't want to foot the bill for a new stadium; last I heard they were throwing around the idea of an open air nba stadium downtown. They almost lost out to Seattle(who still needs to build a stadium). Anaheim was also in the running as they have an arena ready to go, but would have had to change the name(there is already a pro LA team named the Kings) and I think they had trouble with TV contracts.....IIRC

Back to the Raiders:
According to the article a few hundred mill would come from the team, a few hundred from the nfl, and the rest would come from the MAPS tax which is already in place. If that is the case, it shouldn't be too hard for the city to afford a new stadium(especially without new taxes). Maybe Al's son is ready to leave Oakland, but if the rumors where ever to be believed, it would be under new ownership IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom