AK scope question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you were to have a scope on an AK, like on top of a Texas Weapon Systems Dog Leg Rail, would taking the Front Sight off of the AK make your AK more accurate? Even though it isn't really that accurate to begin with.

I was just wondering because I was thinking of getting that rail and scoping my AK with quick detach rings then have the peep sight on the rail and replace the front sight (since it is canted) with the Venom Tactical gas block/front sight.

I have an Egyptian Maadi if that makes any difference.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fixed a friends up with a true glow 2x red dot. The thing is as accurate as the weapon, trigger, or ammo can be. It will shoot groups better than any ask it has shot against.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, that wouldn't make it more accurate, but moving the front sight to the gas block will shorten the sight radius and make it harder for YOU to shoot as accurately with the irons.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, that wouldn't make it more accurate, but moving the front sight to the gas block will shorten the sight radius and make it harder for YOU to shoot as accurately with the irons.

I understand and agree with the argument that a shorter sight radius can make it harder to get good hits but I would posit that within the envelope of practical man-shooting with this cartridge, irons and platform, <250yds, that replacing the gas block with a combination gas block/front site would be a net gain. First, it let's you delete the extra weight at the end of the barrel in the form of the front sight tower which is also one less thing to get tweaked, damaged or snagged on something. Second, if one is so inclined they could further shorten the barrel to under 16" and permanently attach a flash hider to keep it at legal length which would make for an even handier package. Then again I'm a bit biased as this was my route. :woohoo1:

Photo%20Dec%2001%2C%2017%2004%2040.jpg

OP, it will not make the gun functionally more accurate but I believe that it will be easier to shoot well within the envelope of effectiveness for this cartridge and platform. There is a difference between those two things. The only possible benefit that could be seen by milling off the front sight would be to preclude it's being seen in the bottom of the optic and that benefit would be negligible at the absolute best. Don't do that. ;)

A canted front sight tower is not at all abnormal in the Kalshnikov world. Technically speaking, if the gun can be accurately zeroed even with the use of ALL the windage travel in the front sight assembly then it is OK. I know this annoyance first-hand as my SLR-107CR had a front sight/gas block that canted one direction and the rear sight was canted the opposite direction.

I have the TWS-equipped carbine shown above and I am planning on setting it up with the new Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS for 7.62x39 when it is out. I'm not sure what you'll be using but unless you're going to mount it a bit high and deal with a cheek rest then any sort of scope will likely interfere with the rear peep sight or the front mounting arm of the TWS rail. For this reason I will likely be deleting the TWS rear peep sight and retrofitting my rail with THIS.

Ek

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Side rail mounts are excellent options if they are applicable. I am uncertain as to whether a Maadi would have a side rail or not. With the advent of modern side rails, some even US-made, that can interface with a multitude of quality optics I believe that the time for dealing with com-bloc junk optics is past. Products from RS-Regulate and Midwest Industries com immediately to mind.

Bare in mind that underfolders and left-side folding stocks will be precluded from closing completely. This is why I don't run one!

Ek ;)

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Great information!

And no, the Maadi does not have the side rail mount. So I don't really want to put one one. Also, that canted sight is so dang annoying. I don't know whether to get it fixed or get the venom tactical gasblock/sight and then run the TWS peep sight. But then I think I would be screwed then since I couldn't adjust for windage. But would I have to if it was all correctly put on if it is straight in line with the barrel? Or would it be better to use a different gasblock/sight like you are using, EK. I see that you can adjust it I think.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one on my gun is adjustable and it came pre-installed on this model. K-VAR has similar parts but they are spendy and requirebeing drilled and pinned. It has the standard AK front sight post that is elevation-adjustable and threaded into a drum that can be drifted to adjust for windage. YES, on an AK a front sight set-up that is both adjustable for windage and elevation is a necessity if for no other reason to adjust your BZO to account for radically different atmospherics, different types of ammunition, etc. I would suggest calling the manufacturer of the part you want and asking them if it is adjustable and what the process is. 'Most' manufacturers are quite helpful in this regard and assumptions often do not work out well&#8230; ask me how I know.

One further thing to keep in mind is that with the TWS dogleg rail and the rear Peepsight once your zero is set it is not adjustable for field conditions. There is no provision for elevation adjustments aside from setting the front sight post during the zero process. If you shoot at various longer ranges this can become an issue due to the rainbow-like arc of 7.62x39.

Ek

Latest posts

Top Bottom