The Battle of the Bulge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On December 16, 1944, the Germans launched a surprise major offensive in the Ardennes forest area of Belgium, known later as the Battle of the Bulge.

IreneKennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eldon Ham of Elgin, OK was there. Last major battle he fought. First was 'D' Day landing on Omaha beach, then Battle of St. Lo, then liberation of Paris, and lastly Battle of the Bulge.

A true American hero in my book.
Stop by and day hello.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was there. (28th Infantry?) Gun manufacturers must have used different materials for rifles, because the barrel on his M1 warped from firing it so much. He said he scrounged a Thompson after that.

He also said the worst part, worse than the cold, lack of supplies, etc, was the smell. He said nothing stinks as bad as rotting human flesh.

I think about that whenever I watch Band of Brothers. The smell isn't something they can effectively convey on screen.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was there. (28th Infantry?) Gun manufacturers must have used different materials for rifles, because the barrel on his M1 warped from firing it so much. He said he scrounged a Thompson after that.

He also said the worst part, worse than the cold, lack of supplies, etc, was the smell. He said nothing stinks as bad as rotting human flesh.

I think about that whenever I watch Band of Brothers. The smell isn't something they can effectively convey on screen.

What was his name?

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an uncle who was there.

I also had an uncle there.
My avatar is the unit he was in (551stPIB). They were almost totally wiped out around Rochelinval, out of over 800 in 1942 there were only 110 left after the Bulge and the unit was deactivated and the survivors were assigned to the 82nd.
http://www.551stpib.com/newsite/index.html

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I knew a local man who passed away a few years ago, he was there, Jack Crider. He didn't hesitate to tell stories of his time spent in Europe when asked, absolutely amazing. He was even kind enough to tell many of them and be recorded on video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom