Bow for child- archery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you buy from Walmart or academy, look at Three Rivers Archery web page. They have a fiberglass bow with the arrow shelf on both sides of the handle. This allows your young shooter to use it either right or left handed. I think last time it looked they were in the price range of 60.00 dollars. We use this same style of bow to teach the Boy Scouts archery, as it's a longbow that can be shot right or left handed depending on the boy. Great learner bow with a small investment. If the child really gets into it, buy a high dollar bow then. That's just my two cents.

thedavel

Marksman
Reaction score
If you're going with a compound, the diamond and the mission are good bows. I got my son the Hoyt ignite. More of a "real" bow imo. Plus it's faster than the other 2 at the same draw weight.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She just wants a real bow. I don't know anything about how to shoot arrows well, and I'm not dumping $300 dollars into an experiment on the curiosity of an eleven-year-old. Looks like the Academy special is in order. Thanks for the advice, and merry xmas.

Worked out really good for my 3, lots of fun... ;)

When they can pull the PSE they can share it , thatll probably be a couple years...ha

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one I got to start my daughter off. Much better than some of the cheaply made packages "some costing more" I've seen. PSE makes one almost identical that is good too. H&H carries these in OKC

http://www.oldbow.com/samick_polaris_takedown_recurve_bow.htm

Samick POLARIS Takedown Recurve
Available in 48", 54", 62" and 66" -$97.00 to $119.00

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we went with the mission Craze for my boy, about 300$, but he'll be able to use it till he's high school.. Now Bear, PSE, bowtech, and probably everyone else make a close copy of it, super adjustable... the bear is called an outllook I think, and the bow tech is an "indinite edge"..

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just have to say that this thread was a great help to me as I was looking for a first bow for my daughter. As a "non-archer" myself, I found everyone's opinions a great instant source of knowledge. I would like to submit one more bow for consideration for anyone looking to outfit a very young archer, the Diamond Atomic. I was actively looking for a Diamond infinite edge when I found the Atomic which is a smaller, lighter bow with the same adjustability as the Infinite Edge. It is adjustable from 5 to 30 lb. pull and length can be adjusted all the way out to fit my 6'2" frame. Now she will never hunt deer with it but I believe it to be the perfect learning compound bow for a very young archer up to pre-teen age. They seem to be about $100 less than the infinite edge as well.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I just have to say that this thread was a great help to me as I was looking for a first bow for my daughter. As a "non-archer" myself, I found everyone's opinions a great instant source of knowledge. I would like to submit one more bow for consideration for anyone looking to outfit a very young archer, the Diamond Atomic. I was actively looking for a Diamond infinite edge when I found the Atomic which is a smaller, lighter bow with the same adjustability as the Infinite Edge. It is adjustable from 5 to 30 lb. pull and length can be adjusted all the way out to fit my 6'2" frame. Now she will never hunt deer with it but I believe it to be the perfect learning compound bow for a very young archer up to pre-teen age. They seem to be about $100 less than the infinite edge as well.

I've not seen that model or read any reviews. She could hunt with it at 30lbs.

My daughter has been flinging arrows like crazy this last summer and has increased from 22lbs to 33lbs on the Infinite Edge. She shames on the target and she's enjoying it. She should make 40lbs I'd think by October 1st.

Latest posts

Top Bottom