Wilderness & survival tools - price versus quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bayou Renaissance Man has an interesting post up this morning about how to choose your edged tools. He says in part
In Africa, the lesson I learned from an early age was that tools of this sort are disposable items. Sooner or later (and probably sooner under hard use) you're going to break it, bend it, lose it, or have it stolen (either by other people, or by a jackal or hyena wanting to gnaw on the blood-scented handle of a skinning knife, or something like that). For that reason, 'designer' or name-brand tools were not very common among my contemporaries.
There's more to the post, and he lists some examples of what he'd buy, which I found useful and worth thinking about.

At any rate, read the whole thing, and discuss.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its an interesting debate. At the end of the day a knife is a tool but I look at it this way. I will take care of a good quality knife. Ill keep it razor sharp, wont abuse it, and cherish it. A cheapo made in china knife will get abused lost or tossed.

Next I tried to think how primitive people, indians and moutainmen types, veiwed tools and equipment. These guys were ultimate preppers and survivors. Only rarelydid they carry a pocket knife...maybe no pockets or no boxes to cut open lol.

Here in U.S. they carried a belt knife and took great care in not losing it. It was a cherished and valued item. Not many machetes or swords were carried, rather they carried a tomahawk or belt axe. Again a very cherished item. Tomahawks are tougher than machetes imo.

Tomahawk, knife and way to make fire....made survival so easy, even a cave man did it.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its an interesting debate. At the end of the day a knife is a tool but I look at it this way. I will take care of a good quality knife. Ill keep it razor sharp, wont abuse it, and cherish it. A cheapo made in china knife will get abused lost or tossed. Next I tried to think how primitive people, indians and moutainmen types, veiwed tools and equipment. These guys were ultimate preppers and survivors. Only rarelydid they carry a pocket knife...maybe no pockets or no boxes to cut open lol. Here in U.S. they carried a belt knife and took great care in not losing it. It was a cherished and valued item. Not many machetes or swords were carried, rather they carried a tomahawk or belt axe. Again a very cherished item. Tomahawks are tougher than machetes imo. Tomahawk, knife and way to make fire....made survival so easy, even a cave man did it.

Good points as well, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing "easy" about that existence. JMO.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on crap gear that was designed to look like the real deal and appeal to bargain shoppers that didn't know any better. Packs ripped, handles broke off of axes, waterproof clothing wasn't. Cheap blades with stick tangs or less won't stand up to sustained hard use. Occasionally you'll find a less expensive product that is strong enough, but there is a reason that we all know the saying, "You get what you pay for."

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Father gave me some good advice in this area and I consistently follow it. Many times he has told me: “I’ve sometimes wished I bought better tools but not once in my entire life thought to myself, boy I wish I had bought something junkier”.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is possible to get quality without having to spend a mint, when it comes to bladed implements. The article author makes a very good point in regards to taking cheaper items into the field and replacing them as the break, get lost or become dull. I am sure we've all lost a knife on a hunting or camping trip, so I'm with him on the idea of less expensive, more copies - but only to a point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom