Clay pot & candle heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this on FB the other day and thought I'd share.

Terra cotta is ceramic clay that has been partially fired in a kiln. A terra cotta clay pot heater is an effective way to heat a small space, such as a boat, shed or small room. Metal hardware inside the terra cotta heater helps heat the terra cotta; three pots nesting inside one another create pockets of heat that are radiated slowly and steadily from the porous clay to the air surrounding it. Terra cotta is heat resistant, so the flame from the candle inside it will not compromise the integrity of the clay.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_12094083_make-heater-made-candle-clay-pot.html#ixzz2pqHLSwd0

http://www.trueactivist.com/how-to-easily-heat-your-home-using-flower-pots-tea-lights/

http://www.survivalpunk.com/ceramic-flower-pot-heater/ Maybe not....

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only benefit I saw was maybe radiant heat from the ceramic after the candle burnt down.
But mostly just wanted to see if anyone had tried it yet.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gunna try it in my gun room as soon as i get around to it........ if you never hear from me again that means i exploded and you peolly shouldn't try it in YOUR gun room...LOLOL

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It causes the heat to radiate instead of the hot air just rising. This is an old RV's trick, except we used to place it on a stove burner. This was back in the days when the RV's did not have heaters in them. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A BTU rising or radiated is a BTU.

The radiation you experienced is nothing more than redirecting the heat where the person might get a more instant feeling of warmth. Overall there is no significant difference than a candle, vs a clay pot.

The pot must absorb the heat before it radiates it, and It will transmit some more after the candle expires, or the same BTU goes into the room to do the same thing, but the person nearby doesn't experience it. One in the same overall.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Dennis. I don't see how the pots can possibly increase the heat put out by the candles.

It's not going to increase it, but it can condense it into the smaller area of the pots and radiate from there instead of just going up in the air and dissipating. I really doubt it would reduce a heating bill any measurable amount though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom