OKC Residents Encouraged To Invest In Rain Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY - The City of Oklahoma City has been asking all of us to conserve water. Last year, permanent odd/even outdoor watering went into effect. Now the next step: encouraging all of us to invest in rain barrels.
As part of the initiative, the city has worked out a deal for residents to buy rain barrels for $59.

Shauna Struby has had a 300 gallon rain water tank in her back yard for the past four or five years.

"It's been a Godsend and a blessing," she said.

Rain drains from her gutters right into her tank where it sits until she needs it to water her big garden.

"We can go almost the whole summer without having to use city water," Struby said.

This is what the city of Oklahoma City would like more of us to do.

"One of the major benefits is it's environmentally friendly," said Raymond Melton CPESC, CSI, the city's Environmental Protection Manager.

Rain collected before it hits the ground keeps contaminates from washing off your lawn and driveway. Rain water is also better for your plants and pocketbook.

Residents can order the barrels online starting at $59 plus $2.50 online handling fee. Residents should click on "order forms" on right side of web page and choose "Oklahoma City." The deadline to order is March 28.

Oklahoma City Council recently passed an urban agriculture ordinance that allows a maximum of two 85-gallon rain barrels in the front yard. Any number of rain barrels can be placed on the side or back of a property as long as they are not visible from the street. The containers must be securely covered and any openings must be covered with a screen that prevents the infestation of insects and other pests.

Rain barrels ordered online can be picked up between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on April 4 or between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on April 5 from the City's Household Hazardous Waste Facility, 1621 S. Portland.

Residents can take a look at the rain barrels at the Oklahoma City Home and Garden Show, January 17-19 at booth #1645, sponsored by COSWA.

http://www.news9.com/story/24437805/okc-residents-encouraged-to-invest-in-rain-barrels

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ridiculous to pay $59 for a 85 gallon barrel when food grade 300 gallon totes are available for $40 to $55 each. but the program to catch rain water is a good one!!!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where can you buy the 300 gallon at for that much?

they pop up on craigslist all the time for that price range .. key is finding someone closeby to avoid shipping charges. totes are used to ship liquids

here's a 275 gallon tote for $39 on ebay .. which you don't want due to shipping
be sure to only purchase food grade totes for water

i.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_DesAAOxy5jxScw5V__T2eC16h__yfecfb78d81af8b0547c9805fc79cf85a.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool Idea.

Here is a little food for thought. GW Bush's house in Crawford Tx. has a rain water collection system where the run-off from the roof goes into a graveled area, and is collected in a cistern for outdoor watering, and as a back up, can be purified for home consumption.

Al Gore does not have any sort of recycle system at his home.....

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they pop up on craigslist all the time for that price range .. key is finding someone closeby to avoid shipping charges. totes are used to ship liquids

here's a 275 gallon tote for $39 on ebay .. which you don't want due to shipping
be sure to only purchase food grade totes for water

i.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_DesAAOxy5jxScw5V__T2eC16h__yfecfb78d81af8b0547c9805fc79cf85a.jpg

My son borrowed my trailer the other day and when I next saw it he had a load of those on it. He said he was going to use it to store diesel.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cool Idea.

Here is a little food for thought. GW Bush's house in Crawford Tx. has a rain water collection system where the run-off from the roof goes into a graveled area, and is collected in a cistern for outdoor watering, and as a back up, can be purified for home consumption.

Al Gore does not have any sort of recycle system at his home.....

Al Gore doesnt need to recycle....global warming=no rain.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at some really attactive 250 gal barrels on amazon.com right now. They are kinda pricey, but I'm not setting an ibc tote in the front where the neighbors can see it.

I set up a couple of barrels last year just to see if I could make it work. Not hard to do at all ... Those barrels are gonna be turned into potato barrels this year and I'm gonna set up bigger totes and barrels for water collection ... Glad I didn't go to all the trouble to "do it up right" last year. Would have just wasted some space in the back that could be used for gardening/composting. Now that the city will "let" me put some rainbarrels in the front, my original plan (that GC ix-nayed ... :nolike: because he doesn't lean towards civil disobedience like his wife ... :bah:) is back on the table ... :naughty:

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at some really attactive 250 gal barrels on amazon.com right now. They are kinda pricey, but I'm not setting an ibc tote in the front where the neighbors can see it.

I set up a couple of barrels last year just to see if I could make it work. Not hard to do at all ... Those barrels are gonna be turned into potato barrels this year and I'm gonna set up bigger totes and barrels for water collection ... Glad I didn't go to all the trouble to "do it up right" last year. Would have just wasted some space in the back that could be used for gardening/composting. Now that the city will "let" me put some rainbarrels in the front, my original plan (that GC ix-nayed ... :nolike: because he doesn't lean towards civil disobedience like his wife ... :bah:) is back on the table ... :naughty:

What makes them really attractive? Good muscle tone and a mustache? :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom