Dan Combs OHP video, must see!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy moly - the OHP had M1928 Thompsons and full-auto M14's?? When were these phased out, or do they still have those weapons? The video looks like it was shot in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Most interesting!
According to the video I linked, he died in '76, so I'd guess this was early-'70s. Interesting that (if the video is to be believed) he's the only OHP Trooper to have his badge number retired without having fallen in the line of duty. He must have been a hell of a man...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the video I linked, he died in '76, so I'd guess this was early-'70s. Interesting that (if the video is to be believed) he's the only OHP Trooper to have his badge number retired without having fallen in the line of duty. He must have been a hell of a man...

Agreed... I thought it was much older, maybe early 60s, but looking at the haircuts of the men in the video, I think early 70s might be about right. Hard for me to say. I wasn't born yet. ;)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the video was early 70s. He did the presentation for our Boy Scout troop in either 65 or 66. They dont make troopers like Dan Combs anymore.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed... I thought it was much older, maybe early 60s, but looking at the haircuts of the men in the video, I think early 70s might be about right. Hard for me to say. I wasn't born yet. ;)

This is why I guessed late 70s to early 80s, along with the aviator-style glasses Trooper Combs was wearing (as opposed to the horn-rimmed glasses popular in the 1950s and early/mid 1960s). Apparently Oklahomans were hip to the current fashion styles in those days :wink2:

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think people appreciate how hard the M14 was to fire and control on full-auto. If you watch the History Channel documentary about the AR-15 getting adopted as the M16, you'll see that they'll state that the US Army had to have "ringers" specially brought in who could handle the M14 on full-auto for demonstration purposes since it would knock most of the GIs silly.

osu113

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

For the people wondering, this was back in the 60's. I have the pleasure of having known Dan Combs. He was truly one of a kind. I have black and white photos of both of us. He and my father were friends. Dan is a big part of my fondness of firearms, and firearm safety, and yes, Law Enforcement. Dan was a Trooper's Trooper, but most importantly, Dan was a Christian. Some people probably knew him as hard nosed, and arrogant. But then again, they were most likely on the wrong side of the law. I don't know how long it took for Dan to get to the point when every time he flipped that hog leg back in his holster every time, but I know it took me a long time, and several scratches and scrapes on a S&W model 15, to get to where I could do it 8 out of 10 times. Still have my bucket holster. When it come to snatchin leather, Dan was the man... He was truly a joy to watch, listen to, and talk to. I think he may have swatted my back side once or twice too. Thanks, for the memories.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom