best pig stickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it seems those hogs are murder (no pun intended) on knives.

I've researched a bit online...fixed 6.5 in blade and full tang seems to be the common theme. Any brand recommendations?

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a friend who went to Argentina on a hog hunt. He had me take a new Ka-BAR and sharpen the top swedge for him. Din't have any problems and booked another hunt for this year. The Dogo? dogs were the catchers. His dinner companion that evening was the Dogo sitting in his lap while he dined. He said that dog could sit whereever he wanted.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm I have done a little pig sticking and really never noticed it being tough on knife blades, I said a little so my personal experance is limited. The armor can be hard/tough but in my experance once the dogs get them held and they are down you just shove it in and its over forgive the visual. I have moved several of these to TX for this exact purpose and get a lot of good feedback.

12" total, 7" blade with sharpened clip, plenyt of handle. Melts through armor like hot butter. I started making these with 1/4" 0-1 tool steel clay quenched for a diferential heat treatment just to be on safe side, even though a good heat treated 1/4" thick 0-1 tool steel knife is pleny tough, I figured adding a soft spine would step it up a bit. The 0-1 high carbonf tool steel is easy to sharpen holds a good edge and is fairly wear resistant, a good working steel. These are version 2 as the first ones had a clean plung cut on the clip, which tended to hange up a little.

a nother one

The knife I use is just my go to hunting blade. 9.5" knife with a 4.5" blade 3/16 0-1 tool steel it doesn't look like this any more it looks like it has leporcy but I still love it. I made this knife with a good knife making friend a long time ago its stays strapped to my pack or belt and has disiambled several deer and a few hogs. The pic's of this knife were taking a while back and are not very good but it has no trouble cutting the Jugular vein of a 250 lb hog, I have also proccessed several deer while camped out with this knife, no need for anything else.

anyway thats my 2 cents and thats about what its worth plus I got to show some of my work...lol.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly right Randall. I love your pig stickers. One day I will have one of yours. I might have you add a little more finger guard or whatever you call that. To prevent my hand from sliding down on the blade if its slick from mud, blood etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom