Can buzzards kill chickens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

My wife was hanging clothes on the line when she said a very large black buzzard swooped down and grabbed a hen, right in front of her, without showing fear. She said it carried the hen aloft a short distance and bit its head off. I went out there and this is what I found. She insists it was a buzzard, much larger than a hawk. She is adamant. The predator has taken all of my Norwegian Jaerhorns - a small breed. It leaves my Jersey black giants alone.

I have never heard of a buzzard doing this. Can this be true? Can buzzards turn to taking chickens?

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Eagle maybe? I've never heard of a predatory buzzard.

She said the wingspan is huge, and that it is black. We have lots of buzzards around here, but they mainly just hang glide. I've seen eagles at McGee Creek Lake, but that is 50 miles NE of here. There are owls here, but I've never seen one in the day. The way she described the kill was sort of like Bam!

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have buzzards year around in southern OK? We don't, just late spring through early fall.

Yeh. They are always here. I left the carcass out there in hopes that whatever did it comes back, and I can get some pics. The other chickens are giving it wide berth.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She said the wingspan is huge, and that it is black. We have lots of buzzards around here, but they mainly just hang glide. I've seen eagles at McGee Creek Lake, but that is 50 miles NE of here. There are owls here, but I've never seen one in the day. The way she described the kill was sort of like Bam!

My buddy witnessed a big old owl kill a squirrel once while hunting. He said it was quick and very violent. One second mr squirrel was chasing his buddy around under a tree the next second the owl just kinda fell/crashed through the limbs and hit one of the squirrels and ripped him in half and flew away with him dangling a couple of feet of squirrel innards.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a Egyptian Buzzard, we have them in Marshall County, and they are extremely predatory! I was helping my friend work cows, and we seen a newborn calf attacked by 4 of them. They took it down to the ground before we could get to it, and had tore out a eyeball. Had to put the calf down.

USDA Agent issued him a permit to kill any he finds. The Agent said they are Egyptian Buzzards, and have been slowly moving into Oklahoma over the last decade. I seen 2 sitting in little city today as I was coming to work in Durant, so I'm sure that's what it is. FYI, 22lr won't take one down. .223 works well :)>

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a Egyptian Buzzard, we have them in Marshall County, and they are extremely predatory! I was helping my friend work cows, and we seen a newborn calf attacked by 4 of them. They took it down to the ground before we could get to it, and had tore out a eyeball. Had to put the calf down.

USDA Agent issued him a permit to kill any he finds. The Agent said they are Egyptian Buzzards, and have been slowly moving into Oklahoma over the last decade. I seen 2 sitting in little city today as I was coming to work in Durant, so I'm sure that's what it is. FYI, 22lr won't take one down. .223 works well :)>

Thanks, I'm going to look up all the info I can on this type of buzzard. My wife is 100% sure it was a buzzard she saw do this. It happened 25 feet from her.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can't be this bird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Vulture. Says not in N America

I read that just now. It looks like the "Black Buzzard" fits the bill; Wikipedia says it is hated by cattle ranchers for the reason specified by Kyle78. Wiki said it attacks deer, too. Really bad against newborn calves, attacking in groups of up to four. Going for the eyes first. Unlike the turkey buzzard, which mainly eats carrion, the black buzzard is an active predator, according to Wikipedia.

Latest posts

Top Bottom