1911 thumb safety removal help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am having trouble removing the thumb safety on my 1911. I have removed the slide and placed the safety to the 1/2 position. I have been wiggling this thin for ever and it won't budge. I have tried the 1/2 position the fully engaged position and everything in between. When I had enough of this I removed the MSH and still had no luck. Anyone have any tips or tricks for me? Thanks.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rubberband around grip keeping grip safety aligned... hammer back... position thumb safety halfway between safe/fire... pull straight out and/or wiggle if needed...

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice you hammer position. Use the instructions above with the hammer cocked. You can gently tap, i mean gently tap with a brass punch although you should not have to do this. Look at 1911 diagram so you get a handle on what the safety is hitting. It will be hitting the sear and the hammer. If you have removed the mainspring housing you can move the sear forward with a wooden Q-tip. When you are wiggling it you do not need to move it very far as it is hitting small corners. With the mainspring off you can try different hammer positions. The plunger spring may be causing you problems as well. Check the pressure and try to relieve it as you wiggle. Be patient. It will pop right out and if you are like me you plunger spring will fly across the room lost for ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom