chest rig/plate harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the PIG UCR from SKD...bet it would fit the bill, but it seems to be made of vaporware because it's always out of stock.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know of either a belt rig or a chest rig that will hold ak mags and pistol mags? I can find rigs but you always have to buy the extra stuff and attach it to the rig. That will end up costing a fortune. Just a pistol mag attachment is over 30 bucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my straight up honest suggestion: get one of these.

It's a simple chest rig that holds three Kalashnikov magazines and has the MOLLE webbing all across the front. Because the sides are clear of the excess of pouches that may or may not be used it will not occlude the draw of a pistol from its holster. You can also add whatever additional items you need such as an extra pistol magazine or a tourniquet.

While they are no longer at the bleeding edge of design or technology, Eagle industries at one point set the standard for the tactical gear world as far as quality and durability. If you actually 'use' your stuff its important to keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

"But Kanigit, why only three magazines?!?" This rig would be my suggestion as a basic starting point for a couple of good reasons but if you want to carry more than that, rock on with your bad self! A loaded steel military Kalashnikov magazine in 7.62 filled with 30 rounds weighs just shy of 2 pounds. Almost 1 pound of that is the ammunition by itself. The magazines are large and obnoxious in their difficulty to work into pouches, they cover a lot of real estate and adding a second layer of magazines stacked on the first only compounds these problems. As an everyday Joe, if you need immediate access to more than four magazines (one in the rifle, three in your gear) You're either someplace you shouldn't be or your decision making process sucks. :p

It's been my personal experience that dragging along too much extra weight will slow me down, wear me out faster and exponentially degrade my ability to make good hits. The dude that started this thread must be a real badass if he can slog it with 8 AK mags, 6 pistol mags AND a suppressed pistol while still getting the job done… :uberblast

Brilliance in the basics, friends. Simple gear and a dark, ill-intentioned heart will carry the day.

Ek

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: the pig UCR

This used to be the Eagle/SKD chest rig. It was and still is a great basic starting point for someone shooting an M4. I do not believe the pouches would securely hold a Kalashnikov magazine as they are too short and would only fit one magazine, very loosely at that. The PIG line now has a triple 7.62 chest rig that looks VERY attractive but per my email RFI to the manufacturer it will not work for AK mags either.

Ek

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To reiterate an important point to EK's advice. This setup is basic. you will be able to add pouches/equipment as the situation dictates. This could include more AK mag pouches. However, depending on the situation you can just carry them in a backpack and top off the front as necessary.

I would agree that the situation would have to be extraordinary to need more than three on the front. Your pistol mag pouches can be tucked nicely on the left or right side of this type of carrier easily. Adding a TQ ( or two) at least and a small IFAK that you can access with either hand would be my next recommendation.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Universal-Chest-Rig-p/pig.667.htm. here is a link to the pig ucr. I am gonna get this one. It says it will hold 3 ak mags but I saw a YouTube video where they had 6 in it and it fit fine. This is the best option in my opinion. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I know I probably won't ever need to actually use this in a fighting situation but at least if I do it will give me what I need and nothing I don't. I was thinking of adding a medical kit to the right side and a dump pouch to the left. Here is the video: PIG UCR | Universal Chest Rig SKD Tactical: http://youtu.be/fsUdRdZQGUI

Last edited:

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last edited:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a used tactical tailor chest rig I bought from a friend of mine, It has the map pouch with molle loops on the chest, triple pistol mag pouch, a hydration bladder, dump pouch and thigh rig. None of my gear matches and I don't really care it works for me.

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_joshgear1_zps1ec12a6b.jpg

This a friend of mine at a training class, most of his gear is on his war belt, the chest rig has a hydration bladder, IFAK, knife, and a couple of spare magazines for pistol and rifle.

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_derekgear2_zps0c515d12.jpg

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Universal-Chest-Rig-p/pig.667.htm. here is a link to the pig ucr. I am gonna get this one. It says it will hold 3 ak mags but I saw a YouTube video where they had 6 in it and it fit fine. This is the best option in my opinion. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I know I probably won't ever need to actually use this in a fighting situation but at least if I do it will give me what I need and nothing I don't. I was thinking of adding a medical kit to the right side and a dump pouch to the left. Here is the video: PIG UCR | Universal Chest Rig SKD Tactical: http://youtu.be/fsUdRdZQGUI

Like EK and UMB have said, 3 rifle mags up front should cover ya. The only thing I would suggest, is make sure you can reach your blowout kit with both hands easily, and I would steer away from a dump pouch. From my experience, they live true to their name and dump anything you put in there on the ground when shooting in positions other then standing straight up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom