Long Gun In Your Vehicle Queastions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a SDA permit and it seems like I keep hearing different things concerning having a long gun in your vehicle. When I called the OSBI the lady who answered said call the police in a voice that sounded newly awoken. My local sheriff said "I thought if you had the permit you could do whatever you want". I am sure it will come down to the officer I come across but hoped you all may have some info to help me make CCW decisions where long guns are concerned.
The way I read the SDA you can have a long gun so long as no round is chambered correct?
So you can have rounds in the mag tube=shotgun or mag seated=AR15?
If the car breaks down can I unload the tube or eject the mag as the case may be and start walking if the weapon is cased say in a backpack?
Can the bullets be in the pack or do they have to stay in the car?
I'd love to hear from LEO on this but appreciate any info you all might have.
Thanks.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is still current(?)

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles

FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7a. Transporting or storing firearms in locked vehicle on private premises—Prohibition proscribed

A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked motor vehicle, or from transporting and storing firearms locked in or locked to a motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be liable in any civil action for occurrences which result from the storing of firearms in a locked motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle, unless the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or owner of the business entity commits a criminal act involving the use of the firearms. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Act.

C. An individual may bring a civil action to enforce this section. If a plaintiff prevails in a civil action related to the personnel manual against a person, property owner, tenant, employer or business for a violation of this section, the court shall award actual damages, enjoin further violations of this section, and award court costs and attorney fees to the prevailing plaintiff.

D. As used in this section, “motor vehicle” means any automobile, truck, minivan, sports utility vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, and any other vehicle required to be registered under the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13A. Improper transportation of firearm

IMPROPER TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARM

A. Notwithstanding the provisions of 1272 or 1289.13 of this title, any person stopped pursuant to a moving traffic violation who is transporting a loaded pistol in the motor vehicle without a valid concealed handgun permit authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or valid license from another state, whether the loaded firearm is concealed or open in the vehicle, shall be issued a traffic citation in the amount of Seventy Dollars ($70.00), plus court costs for transporting a firearm improperly. In addition to the traffic citation provided in this section, the person may also be arrested for any other violation of law.

B. When the arresting officer determines that a valid handgun license exists, pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or any provision of law from another state, for any person in the stopped vehicle, any firearms permitted to be carried pursuant to that license shall not be confiscated, unless:

1. The person is arrested for violating another provision of law other than a violation of subsection A of this section; provided, however, if the person is never charged with an offense pursuant to this paragraph or if the charges are dismissed or the person is acquitted, the weapon shall be returned to the person; or

2. The officer has probable cause to believe the weapon is:

a. contraband, or

b. a firearm used in the commission of a crime other than a violation of subsection A of this section.

C. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require confiscation of any firearm.​

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a handgun permit. You fall under a exemption in the law. This exemption is from the requirement to have the magazine empty. So. With permit magazine loaded chamber empty is ok. Mag and chamber loaded not ok.

As far as your breakdown scenario. Read up on the transport of unloaded firearms. In this situation no vehicle is involved after you start walking. So your long gun would need to be carried in a case unloaded with magazine unloaded as well. As far as keeping ammo seperate. I don't recall any requirements there. Just have the magazine empty.

This is as I understand the law. As usual do your own reading to confirm.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a handgun permit. You fall under a exemption in the law. This exemption is from the requirement to have the magazine empty. So. With permit magazine loaded chamber empty is ok. Mag and chamber loaded not ok.

As far as your breakdown scenario. Read up on the transport of unloaded firearms. In this situation no vehicle is involved after you start walking. So your long gun would need to be carried in a case unloaded with magazine unloaded as well. As far as keeping ammo seperate. I don't recall any requirements there. Just have the magazine empty.

This is as I understand the law. As usual do your own reading to confirm.

Yup, if you have your SDA permit, you can carry a long gun magazine, but not chamber, loaded in an interior compartment.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can the bullets be in the pack or do they have to stay in the car?
Once it is out of the gun, OK law is silent on the transportation of ammunition, either in a vehicle or on your person.

Put it in your pack and go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom