Hey Medical Doctors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on GC ... :lookaroun WHAT??!!?! :lmfao:

Lose potency ... Kinda depends on what they are, how they've been stored and how long out they are. Okie4570's wife is a pharmacist. PM him. He can find out for you ...

Last edited:

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to my internist- Meds don't "expire", but they do lose they potency over time. The expiration date is just so they can sell you more pills (his words). If they are 3-4 years out of the expiration date, then yeah, they won't be as effective, but going a year or two past that is fine. I am sure there are exceptions, particularly liquid medicines, but most hard pill forms are good to go. Even inhalents are good for a long time past the due date.

This was told to me a few years ago by my doc. He was giving me some samples and he told me this because he gave way more than I could use before the expiration date.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My scripts all have expiration dates on them. But like the others said it helps sell more drugs and some of them can lose potency after awhile.
That's what my doc says anyway. :wink2:

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the dates have a lot to do with providers wanting patients to finish taking the meds they prescribe rather than tucking them away for later.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your question is about expiration dates, then:

My understanding is that the "expiration date" associated with medicines is actually a "guaranteed to be at the label strength by this date".

So, if you have 5.0mg of Hydrocodone in a pill that expires 03/01/2014, you can be assured that the pill will have the strength (if tested) of 5 mg of hydrocodone on that date.

That does not mean that 5 years from now, the same pill will not test out at 5.0mg of active hydrocodone, but the manufacture is only "guaranteeing" the strength to the stated date.

If your question is "at what point do medications completely loose their ability to be used as prescribed?"
I think you have the 64,000 dollar question. I don't think that I have seen any studies that give definitive answers to that question.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom