Malaysia Air Flight 370

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the guy on NPR yesterday said it was a search area the size of alaska, with 30 ft swells for those on the water, and then once they think they locate the area they will have to search the ocean floor, some 10,000 ft in places.

As the expert said, it will be found, but whether it's days, weeks, months or years is the only question.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thai satellite finds 300 floating objects in search area.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Malaysian-jet-search/articleshow/32778860.cms

Bangkok (AFP) - Thai satellite images have shown 300 floating objects in the southern Indian Ocean during a search for the missing Malaysian airliner, an official said Thursday.

The objects, ranging from two to 15 metres (6.5 to 50 feet) in size, were scattered over an area about 2,700 kilometres (1,680 miles) southwest of Perth, according to the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency.

Japanese satellite spots ten box shaped objects in same area.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-03/27/c_133219404.htm

Japan's Kyodo News citing the Japanese government sources as saying that the objects, which are square, spread about 2,500 km south-west of Perth, in the same area where other countries also found suspicious debris.

Edit: It seems plausible to me that with all this surface debris, there had to be survivors - for a few hours anyway. There will be bodies recovered, I suspect. If so, any smart phone messages that were entered will be available for forensics. The worse case scenario would be that Malaysian officials get the smart phones, since they are in charge of the investigation, they would have 1st dibs on this critical information.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the mother****ing ocean. It does what it wants. As my friend told me once....when you are in the ocean, you are just another part of the food chain.

Reminds me of living in the Caribbean... I used to think I wanted to live through a hurricane... a small one, like a Cat 1 or 2. Then one night, living in Sint Maarten, our apartment was right on the water, had a tropical storm come through. I got up about 1 or 2 AM and looked out the big bay windows at the ocean, and realized how we were on a tiny speck of land (a pretty flat one, at that) in the middle of a giant, raging cauldron of chaos and decided I'd seen enough. It lost it's excitement at that point, when I figured out how easily we could be wiped out by that gigantic mass of energy. No thanks.

the guy on NPR yesterday said it was a search area the size of alaska, with 30 ft swells for those on the water, and then once they think they locate the area they will have to search the ocean floor, some 10,000 ft in places.

As the expert said, it will be found, but whether it's days, weeks, months or years is the only question.

What I read said there could be depths in excess of 20,000 feet. Sad deal, though.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_july0ta.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

OK Martin, here's the deal; several of my fellow OSA members asked me to run the simulator out of fuel. They want to know how the 777 would have performed at altitude when it ran dry!

i.imgur.com_mZLLW9b.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

In about 7 seconds the simulator will duplicate what the 777 would do once it ran out of fuel, OSA!

i.imgur.com_FblbAKf.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

The plane is automatically assuming a nose up attitude, and we are descending rapidly, the tail will strike the water first...

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not everyone appreciates this

No, it hasn't even been brought up. But the Japanese satellite photos identified box like objects floating, which I infer could be luggage. With a wing out there floating, there was plenty of stuff for survivors to grab onto. The fuzzy pictures are intentionally fuzzy, for purposes of secrecy pertaining to satellite capabilities. The CNN flight simulator adapted to a nose up, tail down attitude when they ran it out of fuel. It was losing altitude rapidly, at a controlled glide on autopilot. It would have skidded into the water tail first. The scene would have been horrific.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it hasn't even been brought up. But the Japanese satellite photos identified box like objects floating, which I infer could be luggage. With a wing out there floating, there was plenty of stuff for survivors to grab onto. The fuzzy pictures are intentionally fuzzy, for purposes of secrecy pertaining to satellite capabilities. The CNN flight simulator adapted to a nose up, tail down attitude when they ran it out of fuel. It was losing altitude rapidly, at a controlled glide on autopilot. It would have skidded into the water tail first. The scene would have been horrific.
But if they deliberately ran it out of fuel why would they try to do the sort of belly landing that would allow some people to survive, at least at first? Hold my beer and get a load of this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom