The Wife wants a Taurus Judge for CCW. Yeah or Nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your gonna get a whole bunch of responses from folks that only speculate about the validity of a judge as a viable SD weapon, having never owned nor shot one, or done ballistics tests with the pistol.

When the Judge first came out, and the only ammo available was designed for a long barreled shotgun, it did not meet the requirements for SD.

Since the manufacturers have came out with SD ammo designed for the Judge, and the S&W, the arguments have revolved around the 5 shot round count, yet the same advocate a pump shotgun with a 5 shot capability. Granted the 12 ga is exponentially a bigger round, but when the Judges new combo rounds hit somebody, I'd expect nothing more than a case for the ME.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Based on the one I've held and shot, it's rounds are devastating at short range, yet I'd have a hard time concealing it on my person. If concealment isn't an issue, I'd say why not?

The only other negative, for me, is that the dang thing is so FUGLY. but that's my own preference and has no bearing on this viability as an SD option.

Fun as heck to shoot though.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep one beside my bed. As above, the ammo out there such as the Wincester PDX, I can be half asleep and just point it in the general direction of my bedroom door and it will drop anyone standing there.

Dennis above hit the key on when they first came out and the ammo. I took a tape measure and measured our home. In places where my wife or i would most likley shoot it. Hallway to front door, kitchen to back door, laying in bed at bedroom door etc etc. Then took the measurements to our shooting range and set up some old plywood at the different distances inside the home. Just as above point the pistol in the general direction and you will put shot and plugs in whoever is standing there.

With that said. Will they make a good daily carry self defense? Hmmmmm I have not thought much on that. But five rounds is limiting. But allot of people carry the little five shot revolvers and six shot semi autos as well. So size would prohibit my wife on wanting one outside the home. But inside the house, I think there is no better for a woman. Or a half woke up man in a emergency. I do back it up with a large capacity Glock if needed or going out the door after something. The Glock has the light on it. Lol

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know from experience they are a great option especially with PDX from Winchester at close range and women have the ability to carry it well hidden in a purse with no problem. I have the raging judge model fires .45 long colt .454 casull and .410 guage but I don't carry, it's just for range fun

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a lady carrying a purse designed to hold a big pistol, it might be viable, but trying to get one out of a small clutch purse might be difficult.
I'm thinking better designed for a night stand gun.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick with the purpose built ammo. I have been next to people at the range shooting small shot and the pattern is just too big outside of a meter or so. Also, very inconsiderate as the shot winds up riccocheting off of the target holders into other shooters at a range or hitting people beyond the target in a self-defense situation.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to make the drive, your more than welcome to come shoot the Judge we have. It is a 3inch cylinder, 3inch barrel stainless. It is a heavy pistol, one of my bud's bought the poly and my wife hated it. This Stainless big one we have keeps the recoil down and manageable for her. I would say his little snub nose one will bend the wrist. But it is way lighter. So would have to side with Dennis again, home, truck gun for us. We do carry it when off roading, we go to Arkansas, Colorado and Utah.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had one for a long time and it was really fun to shoot. Like others have said, it is better as a truck/nightstand gun, just to dang big for every day carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom