steel shot in a full choke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepyj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an late 60's mossberg 500 it has a 30 inch full choke barrel. I have used this for years on dove, and quail but i am going on turkey hunt. The turkey loads i purchased are steel. Is it safe to shot steel shot out of this barrel.

Thank You

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The Hevi-Shot, like steel, will not compress like lead. I wouldn't risk damaging your full choke barrel. Good luck on your hunt!

sleepyj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ran to wal mart and picked up some number 4 Remington nitro turkey to run thru the mossberg. I will use the heavy in my franchi i-12. According to my franchi tubes a IM for lead is the same as a full for steel does that sound right?

Thanks for the luck i am sure i will need it first time turkey hunting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 28" stevens pump full choke has seen many steel rounds these were #4 3" magnums no issues.
My browning with the invector steel barrel with the full choke shot some 2 3/4 steel shot ammo no issues.
But the patterns were not tight.
For turkey we found a good combo, an old single shot 12 with 28" full choke barrel and 3.5" federal turkey load #5 shot 1300fps max load. These are copper coated and not steel.
45 yards it will put many holes through a 55 gallon barrel made it look like a cheese grater.
Very tight pattern...The negative is that it kicks 5X harder than anything i have. And it has a limbsaver pad on it.
But no turkey will walk away from it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom