Copperhead Bites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate copperheads. My brother was bit by one once, or at least I'm pretty sure. He was helping someone move some pipe in a pasture and came home complaining about his leg. You could see the bite marks and his leg swelled up black and blue. Luckily he's a pretty big guy and he came out fine because he didn't go for medical attention.

A couple of years ago my mom had a copperhead come after her in her yard. She had a German Shepard pup about 3 months old jump in between them and take the bite. The snake got killed, but unfortunately the pup died as well.

I don't like rattlesnakes either, but they at least tend to try to mind their own business unless you step on them. A copperhead is just plain evil and aggressive and will come after you. I tend to leave most snakes alone, but if I see a copperhead and can safely kill it I'm going to.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like rattlesnakes either, but they at least tend to try to mind their own business unless you step on them. A copperhead is just plain evil and aggressive and will come after you. I tend to leave most snakes alone, but if I see a copperhead and can safely kill it I'm going to.

That's interesting. I've always found copperheads to be rather docile. Cottonmouths, on the other hand, have always been aggressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copperhead bites are almost always a dry bite...the first time. If you continue to piss it off you'll get a wet bite. The Dr.at the hospital told us this, that's why anti venom is so hard to come by he said. Even a dry bite will deliver some residual venom causing the localized swelling. Had your dog gotten a wet bite it would be lights out.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Last edited:

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copperhead bites are almost always a dry bite...the first time. I'd you continue to piss it off you'll get a wet bite. The Dr.at the hospital to is this, that's why anti venom is so hard to come by. Even. Dry bite will deliver some residual venom causing the localized swelling. Had your dog gotten a wet bite it would be lights out.

My daughter apparently had stepped on it and it tagged her three times.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would do it! Was it difficult to find anti venom?

Actually no, Shawnee hospital had it but was afraid to use it since they didn't drag the dead snake in with them for positive ID. Eventually, because of they way the symptoms were spreading they decided someone had better make a choice about doing something (her constant wailing probably had something to do with it also). I gather there can be some unpleasantness if a person hasn't been bitten and anti venom is administered. She eventually was given several courses of the anti venom over a weeks time while in the hospital, and that stuff did make her sick, which is not unusual from what I understand.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was my uncle who was bitten while at hi ranch in pawhuska. Actually he had ran over the snake with a disk and it was jamed up in the mid between disks. He reached his hand in to clear the mud without seeing the dead snake and he racked his hand across a fang. The local clinics had no anti venom so he was flown to Tulsa with the dead snake and given treatment there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom