Somebody educate me on calibers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some are also a combination of the bullet diameter and parent case - .22-250, 6.5-06, 6mm-284, etc. I remember reading Barnes' book "Cartridges of the World" and getting a kick out of the names of some of the cartridges from around the turn of the century. I think my favorite was a cartridge intended for cyclists called the ".32 Velo Dog Revolver".

Cedar Creek

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a difference between a proprietary cartridge and a wildcat.........in name that is. Which is a wildcat that has been produced and sold on the commercial level. There is a .338 Lapua Improved. The .416 Rigby was the parent cartridge for the Lapua..............why they didn't keep it full length, I have no idea! As somebody stated above, almost every case has been matched with every caliber over the years and called something.

.350 Remington Mag..............a short mag before its time, 1965. 35 Sambar rolled out in 2001.........necked up 300 WSM.

Anyone know the difference between the .450 Marlin and the .458 American? Besides the production years of 1962 and 2000?

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow.... I knew this was the place to ask about it. Thanks for the info guys.

Has anyone ever heard of a 30.06 lapua? I saw a thread somewhere.... Maybe arfcom. Advertising brass for one.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a difference between a proprietary cartridge and a wildcat.........in name that is. Which is a wildcat that has been produced and sold on the commercial level. There is a .338 Lapua Improved. The .416 Rigby was the parent cartridge for the Lapua..............why they didn't keep it full length, I have no idea! As somebody stated above, almost every case has been matched with every caliber over the years and called something.

.350 Remington Mag..............a short mag before its time, 1965. 35 Sambar rolled out in 2001.........necked up 300 WSM.

Anyone know the difference between the .450 Marlin and the .458 American? Besides the production years of 1962 and 2000?

Wildcat cartridges are not SAAMI spec'd and can have all sorts of differences between them. Once it has been SAAMI approved then the numbers are written in stone and it isn't a wildcat anymore but a proprietary cartridge.

Wow.... I knew this was the place to ask about it. Thanks for the info guys.

Has anyone ever heard of a 30.06 lapua? I saw a thread somewhere.... Maybe arfcom. Advertising brass for one.

I've never heard of a "30.06 lapua" but Lapua does make 30/06 brass could that be what you saw?

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 338 Lapua, or 338 Lapua Magnum are the same cartridge, I believe. The term magnum only being added due to it's true magnum performance instead of any reference to a belt. The 338 Lapua is not belted, but is a huge case, with huge case capacity which allows it to throw large bullets a long distance due to it's high velocity, making it a great long range military marksman round as well as a heavy, but also great long range, heavy hitter on game. My memory may be stained here, but I seem to remember the Lapua being based on the marvelous 416 caliber Rigby cartridge which does not have a belt, but could also easily qualify for most people's idea of a magnum. My connection between the Lapua and Rigby may be incorrect. I will need to look it up.

Thanks for the schooling on the 338 but I'm fairly well versed on it. I was trying to politely point out to dennishoddy that his assertion about a non magnum version was probably incorrect, by doing so, hopefully avoiding the wrath of the "12th Imam" himself.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wildcat cartridges are not SAAMI spec'd and can have all sorts of differences between them. Once it has been SAAMI approved then the numbers are written in stone and it isn't a wildcat anymore but a proprietary cartridge.

I've never heard of a "30.06 lapua" but Lapua does make 30/06 brass could that be what you saw?

As I've always understood what a proprietary cartridge is, that is not correct. Just because it's sold commercially, doesn't mean it's SAAMI approved, nor does it need to be to be sold to the public. Wildcats don't get SAAMI and turn into proprietaries.

Dakota explains it better than I can. http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Dakota+proprietary+cartridges.html

The term proprietary cartridge is used to describe a cartridge design that is owned by an individual or company under a registered trademark or patent. A patent is an official document granting the exclusive right to make, use, and sell an invention for a limited period. A trademark can be a name or symbol which identifies a product that is officially registered and legally restricted to the use of the owner or manufacturer. Put simply, a proprietary cartridge can only be produced commercially by either the owner of the patent or trademark - or any company that has a licensed agreement with the patent/trademark holder.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I've always understood what a proprietary cartridge is, that is not correct. Just because it's sold commercially, doesn't mean it's SAAMI approved, nor does it need to be to be sold to the public. Wildcats don't get SAAMI and turn into proprietaries.

Dakota explains it better than I can. http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Dakota+proprietary+cartridges.html

I was in a hurry this morning while responding, and you're right I misspoke about proprietary, I meant to say standardized.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the schooling on the 338 but I'm fairly well versed on it. I was trying to politely point out to dennishoddy that his assertion about a non magnum version was probably incorrect, by doing so, hopefully avoiding the wrath of the "12th Imam" himself.

338 Lapua (8.58x71).
338 Lapua magnum designation is 8.60x70 or 8.58x70

Your nowhere near the wrath of the IMAM.

Carry on. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom