? is retail price of ammunition (22lr) regulated ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had a discussion this morning with one of the daily customers (as told to me by WM clerk) at the sports desk this morning before the ammunition was rolled out. He was stating that the retail markup on ammunition price was regulated (to prevent price gouging, yeah like what are you doing with this ammunition you get nearly daily, huh?), and i was of the opinion the retailer could markup an item basically to whatever they desired (excluding times of natural disaster) but i do believe that retailers aren't permitted to sell below a certain percentage of their cost?

So is there a limit as to how much a retailer can mark up ammunition, here today, in Tulsa Oklahoma?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone can sell any commercial item for whatever they wish. There may be internal controls on .22lr prices at Walmart. There are manufacturer agreements with authorized dealers and distributors on price structuring. On retail sales it's often called MAP (minimum advertised price). Even that doesn't set the price, but what you can advertise. When you see "price on request", "price too low to show" or "add to car to see the price", that means they are selling at below MAP in most cases.
T
he only illegal thing would be collusion between outlets to artificially ste the market price, called price fixing.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
appreciate the answer, i wouldn't mind paying more to retailer in order to have inventory on the shelf. i would think retailers would themselves want to stop the practice that is going on. a very few purchasing most or all the goods at retail and then getting I am guessing double (is that about what those that are doing this are doing). if retailers would bring the price up on the items until it got to the price point that they were able to maintain inventory on the shelf (market price), then the practice would be stopped (guessing). it just bugs me that you go into retailer and the shelf space is empty, sure seems that that is very expensive empty shelf space. on the reverse of that when item on the shelf is too expensive it sits and accumulates dust then retailer would lower price, again item sitting on shelf not turning is missed revenue too. disclaimer - I own no position in WM or other retailer other than what is held by funds I am invested in.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
appreciate the answer, i wouldn't mind paying more to retailer in order to have inventory on the shelf. i would think retailers would themselves want to stop the practice that is going on. a very few purchasing most or all the goods at retail and then getting I am guessing double (is that about what those that are doing this are doing). if retailers would bring the price up on the items until it got to the price point that they were able to maintain inventory on the shelf (market price), then the practice would be stopped (guessing). it just bugs me that you go into retailer and the shelf space is empty, sure seems that that is very expensive empty shelf space. on the reverse of that when item on the shelf is too expensive it sits and accumulates dust then retailer would lower price, again item sitting on shelf not turning is missed revenue too. disclaimer - I own no position in WM or other retailer other than what is held by funds I am invested in.

Retailers buy products to sell. The faster it sells, the happier they are. They do not care who buys it, just that it sells.

Latest posts

Top Bottom