So I'm contemplating developing a new gun oil for sale...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been dismayed at all the new uber, super, do everything, green, nontoxic, you can even eat it CLP type lubes hitting the market and have come to the conclusion that they all fail in one area or another. So I'm pretty convinced that one really needs two products for gun care. A solvent and a lube/protectant. Mix them together and they essentially destroy each others ability to do their task at least to some extent. I've long had my own formulation of gun oil and have recently been studying the idea of a 2nd business. I've also found some vastly improved synthetic base chemicals for the blending of what I think will be an awesome gun oil and that's what got me to thinking about the 2nd "sideline" business. It will have some cleaning properties but not be claimed to be a CLP type product, just an outstanding lube that will provide protection at temps from -40 to way hotter than any of us are going to be shooting in with great corrosion protection.

So if you could get an outstanding lube in the lubrication and corrosion protection area and made in Oklahoma would you buy it? My goal would be to make it reasonably priced and I'm not really looking to put the other guys out of business, just to provide a great product at a reasonable cost and maybe add a small amount of cash to the toy budget. I'm thinking that $11 to $15 for a 12-16oz bottle would be where the pricing would fall, that's pretty reasonable compared to most of the big name products out there. Like I said, I'm just in the brainstorming phase and will have to do some testing. What say you, would you buy a premium gun oil? If there's enough demand an aerosol version could happen and I have an idea for a grease with the same base package too.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A kid at a gun show already did this,,,
I talked to his parents and it was quite amusing.

He purchased 100 little bottles with applicator tips,,,
Made some labels on his home computer,,,
Then filled them up with Mobile 1.

When I saw him he was wandering the floor of the gun show,,,
Happily hawking his gun oil for $1.50 a bottle,,,
His Dad said that was about $1.00 profit.

Good luck with your endeavor,,,
Making your product will be an easy thing,,,
Marketing it however is where the real work takes place.

Aarond

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A kid at a gun show already did this,,,
I talked to his parents and it was quite amusing.

He purchased 100 little bottles with applicator tips,,,
Made some labels on his home computer,,,
Then filled them up with Mobile 1.

When I saw him he was wandering the floor of the gun show,,,
Happily hawking his gun oil for $1.50 a bottle,,,
His Dad said that was about $1.00 profit.

Good luck with your endeavor,,,
Making your product will be an easy thing,,,
Marketing it however is where the real work takes place.

Aarond

That's awesome!

Shadow, if it had demonstrably better performance to say, Mobil1, and didn't cost an arm and a leg, then yes, I'd be in the market. There's just nothing that breaks the cost/benefit/convenience barrier to me right now. I typically get my guns out, and at least handle/clean/relube, if not shoot them, pretty frequently. So the "it lasts 10 decades in the safe" doesn't really mean much to me. I also recycle the last few drops of Mobil1 when I change the oil in my cars; so that's pretty much free. I also don't have to heat anything.

So for me:
-That 12-16oz bottle for $10-15 would need to last a year (considering average use), or more.
-Lube at least as well as Mobil1
-Protect from rust better.
-Come in a bottle with an applicator tip that would make it easy to use.
-Not stink.

From my experience with oils, 12-16oz lasting a year for Average Joe should be easy. That's half a quart.

Where Mobil1 fails IMO, is as a rust prevention. It's not bad, but not exceptional. It's WAY better than RemOil, but if left long enough, it doesn't "stay" very well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's awesome!

Shadow, if it had demonstrably better performance to say, Mobil1, and didn't cost an arm and a leg, then yes, I'd be in the market. There's just nothing that breaks the cost/benefit/convenience barrier to me right now. I typically get my guns out, and at least handle/clean/relube, if not shoot them, pretty frequently. So the "it lasts 10 decades in the safe" doesn't really mean much to me. I also recycle the last few drops of Mobil1 when I change the oil in my cars; so that's pretty much free. I also don't have to heat anything.

So for me:
-That 12-16oz bottle for $10-15 would need to last a year (considering average use), or more.
-Lube at least as well as Mobil1
-Protect from rust better.
-Come in a bottle with an applicator tip that would make it easy to use.
-Not stink.

From my experience with oils, 12-16oz lasting a year for Average Joe should be easy. That's half a quart.

Where Mobil1 fails IMO, is as a rust prevention. It's not bad, but not exceptional. It's WAY better than RemOil, but if left long enough, it doesn't "stay" very well.

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. :thumb:

It would do all of that except for possibly the stink part, that's subjective but I can't see it being a whole lot worse. I already know it's going to have great lubrication properties and it will have additives specifically for corrosion meaning the chemical added is specifically for long term protection in a corrosive environment that's prone to condensation, so a year in the safe or attic should be no problem, that's what I'm going for. I want to get some lab testing done to confirm before I take it to the public.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use whatever comes in my shooter's bag at major matches. I can't remember the last time I actually bought gun oil, but I'm probably not your average gun owner either. :)

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. :thumb:

It would do all of that except for possibly the stink part, that's subjective but I can't see it being a whole lot worse. I already know it's going to have great lubrication properties and it will have additives specifically for corrosion meaning the chemical added is specifically for long term protection in a corrosive environment that's prone to condensation, so a year in the safe or attic should be no problem, that's what I'm going for. I want to get some lab testing done to confirm before I take it to the public.

I use Balistol in all my guns. I started using in black powder guns because it cleans fouling. I now use it on my tools also. If you can show in a side by side test, a better rust preventive I would buy it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Balistol in all my guns. I started using in black powder guns because it cleans fouling. I now use it on my tools also. If you can show in a side by side test, a better rust preventive I would buy it.

This isn't really real world for Ballistol since it is water soluble it was washed off rather quickly. That won't happen under normal use and Ballistol is very good for blackpowder and corrosive ammo. I use it for certain applications, same with Froglube. One thing about Ballistol is its really really cheap, there is a giant markup that they are getting because it ain't cheap for us to buy. Here, this will give you an idea. Just not against what I'm looking at developing, I would expect it to do very well in this test.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?175153-Gun-Oil-Corrosion-Test&highlight=corrosion

Latest posts

Top Bottom