OSA pepper heads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If any of you studs are into peppers, walk or drive to Talapia Garden Farms on Melrose between MacArthur and Rockwell. They pick carolina reapers, down to the lemon drops daily.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot sauce is easy to make. I use Tobasco peppers. Put them in a blender, puree, and mix one cup of apple cider vinegar to a quart of the puree, add garlic, and onion powder, and put in a food safe plastic container. (a 2 liter burbon/vodka/gin bottle works great).

Put in the beer box in the garage, and let it set for a couple of years. Bring it out, strain any solids through a fine mesh strainer and put it in an old Worcestershire bottle or something like that for daily use.

You can jump start the process, by boiling the puree'd raw ingredients, straining them and put it on the table in a day or two, but its not as good as the aged variety.

Do both, and down the road, you'll appreciate the aged version.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tabasco is my hottest. Its way down the scale from the scorpions, etc, but I like the flavor.

Tried drying some habenero's one year. Put them into the blender and got a fine chop on them.

sprinkled some on a large pizza, and we had to throw it away.

I love my hot. If it doesn't break out a sweat on the forehead and make the hair folicals tingle, its not hot enough, but that stuff we put on the pizza was brutal.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis , your recipe sounds good! I've been drying and tasting 4 varieties of Habaneros, the brown, red, orange and white. The next step is the Ghost Pepper in red and orange...these are bad boys tread very lightly, next is the raining undisputed hottest of HOT...Carolinia Reaper! I'm looking at 2 right now and to scared to take a bite.

Dennis, since you like moderate heat, I suggest you try the Kung Pao and the Lemon drop, they are very tasty every day peppers.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! My japs are doing well. My habaneros
are blooming but are dropping blossoms. Don't know what's up. A friend gave me several off his plants with tons of fruit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis , your recipe sounds good! I've been drying and tasting 4 varieties of Habaneros, the brown, red, orange and white. The next step is the Ghost Pepper in red and orange...these are bad boys tread very lightly, next is the raining undisputed hottest of HOT...Carolinia Reaper! I'm looking at 2 right now and to scared to take a bite.

Dennis, since you like moderate heat, I suggest you try the Kung Pao and the Lemon drop, they are very tasty every day peppers.

I'm more into hi heat, not intense heat. LOL. :D

My buddy raises the Scorpions. That is brutal heat, especially when its tasted right off the plant. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom