Picked up a bucket list pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that you can either fill the chambers (after loading) with grease, OR you can use a wad between the powder and ball, is this correct?

Yes, some grease on the wad helps. I recently got a ROA, Ruger Old Army. I have been filling the chamber then a ball, then some CVA patch grease. Some TC Bore Butter or even crisco will work.

Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the purpose of either grease over the ball or a lube wad is not to prevent chainfires, it is just to keep the cylinder and bore fouling soft and easy to clean. The way to prevent chainfires is to use properly fitting ball or bullet (must shave a complete ring of lead when seated) and properly fitting caps. Years ago I had a '58 that was bad about firing the next chamber in line. I finally found that the shoulder on one nipple was broken off, exposing the threads. That's where that chainfire came from. I've also had a few from undersized balls. These were all years ago, once I learned about properly fitting caps and balls I've not had any. Looking at this picture, it's a wonder the whole thing doesn't go off with the first shot!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am sorry to say I didn't get the pistol out this weekend. We just had too much other stuff going on. I had the chance to shoot one new firearm so I chose to proof a rebuilt 97 shotgun (which went very well). Then dove opened up and all bets were off!

The weekend ended on a sad note. We got home from hunting and were unloading the truck. I picked up the bag that contained my beloved Remington Sportsman 58 and it slid out, butt first, and slammed into the pavement, shattering the toe of the butt plate. I about cried. Did you know a shotgun makes an awful sound when it hits the pavement? Like nails on a chalk board.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal. I have a Pietta 1858 with 8"bbl. Mines decently accurate. You can use wads over powder ir use a dab of bore butter to seal. I can usually shoot 3 cylinders before having to clean.

Just watch out for ricochets. I was shooting into a big redoak and have had several bounce straight back. Was using round balls. Much better penetratiin with conicals. These old guns are fun but way underpowered.

And way messy to clean.

I know this is an old thread, but after looking for a nice '58 replica remington for the past year, Cabella's had them on sale and I snagged one of the Pietta's. I also got the extra cylinder for it. In about 1972 I bought a replica Navy colt with a brass frame in 44 caliber, I shot it until the cylinder had beaten the brass frame behind it to the point that there is too much cylinder barrel clearance to fire it safely. I once shot an old oak fence post (looked like a railroad tie on end) and had the ball bounce back and hit me in the head.. That may explain something...

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You won't believe it, but I STILL haven't fired this pistol. It sits in the cabinet with all my other guns of the era and taunts me relentlessly. . . Sure is pretty. There's just something about brass on a gun. Gets me all excited. Almost hate to soil the pretty lady.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats! That's my favorite C&B.

What Pulp said. I always kept my balls in a ziplock bag with bore butter. No wonder wads, no Crisco. A tight, good fitting ball is what prevents chain fire. The lube is there for just that. Lubing. You don't need much. It helps prevent lead fouling.

Lurker66, the Walker was the most powerful revolver until the 357 mag came along. Load one up with conicals, and as much powder as you can get in the cylinder. FYI, strap your loading lever down. It won't stay put. More fun than humans should have. I have blown up two Walkers, but it wasn't from too much powder. 45 Colt conversions. Too much smokeless. Still have the blown up cylinder from the first indecent.

Say, that reminds me, Pulp. I have a handmade conversion ring made by Walter Kirst, BEFORE the Kirst Konverter came out, if you need it. You will need a new cylinder. Seems like I have one that I never finished machining. Very Gus. Very cool. I've blown up a lot of stuff, now that I think about it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AV, Sir please make sure you use real black-powder, not the other crap out there. I kn ow some folks will tell you otherwise, but BP is easier to clean, and just a lot more fun than the other stuff. Besides this pistol is going to enable you to get other BP gun's, try to stay with the original's, Penn's an Kentucky long rifle's percussion, and flint. Try out some more revolver's in different caliber's i.e. .36, .31, and all the other model's of .44 caliber. Rifle's can be found in a lot of fun calibers, .36, .44, .45, .50, .577, .69, and smooth bore rifle's go even higher in caliber, plus they are a true challenge to get them to shoot accurately beyond 50 to 75 yards(its all about the patch).
Something else you'll want on hand for after the shooting is done, is a spray bottle of Windex. This helps break down the fouling, slow an stop the corrosive effects caused by black powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom