M&P 9mm pro series

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Pro 5" with FO sights and the 4 1/4" Pro with night sights. If you want the sights and somewhat lighter trigger (6 1/2# is standard M&P) it is a bargain. It is pointless to buy the Pro if you intend to immediately replace the trigger and sights, it seems.
The 5" is all set up for IDPA and USPSA Production, and the 4 1/4" is handy for sitting in a vehicle with belt carry.
Coming from revolvers, I feel no need to modify the trigger or anything else on either of them. The triggers were gritty at first (mostly the striker block and trigger linkage) but have settled down at a smooth 4 1/4#. A little polishing goes a long way.

IMHO, the current fad to buy a standard M&P and immediately install the $175 advanced competition FSS kit (banned in Stock and Production) is overkill for daily carry and perhaps requires expert training to be entirely safe carrying the light trigger with no takeup. Just my opinion.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you shoot 4.25" in competitions

Sure you can. The 4.25 regular version comes with simple dot sights, and the 4.25" Pro comes with night sights. The attraction of the 5" Pro is that it comes with the preferred FO sights for competition.
IDPA, in particular, accommodates most any usual carry gun, even though it might not be the most popular competition configuration. Some people shoot their carry gun in club matches for practice, not because they expect to be division champ.

My standard advice to new IDPA shooters is to shoot whatever you have until you decide if you want to get really serious about spending more money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom