Ruger 10/22 Pro Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Pro Mag a while back for my 10/22 and I can't say as I care a whole lot for it. I believe it claims to hold about 30 rounds but it's such a vicious beast to load I may never find out. So here's a question or two for you guys that have one. I have heard that these things will loosen up with a few loadings (number I got was about 5) and thereafter work ok. Any truth to that? I'd be ok with it if that was the case. Also, are those loaders any good that I see for sale everywhere? Some are a big plastic thing with a crank on them and you fill the thing up with loose rounds, give it a shake, and crank the rounds in to the magazine. Others are just a plastic yoke that supposedly depresses the spring enough to let you stick a round in without creasing your thumb to the bone and employing every bit of profanity in the song book.
I'm just trying to get some use out of this thing before hurling it out in the yard and backing over it with my truck. Any experience to share here would sure be helpful.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never tried the loaders but typically, yes, the 25/30 round 10/22 mags will
Loosen up after several loadings.
I've never had good luck with the plastic lipped 10/22 mags.
BTW, I've actually found the steel lip mags by Butler Creek to work very well for many years.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, so today after work I loaded and shucked this thing a couple of times and already it's loosened up noticeably. I'll do that a few more times then try it out at the range. If I can ever get time. Maybe this thing will be alright yet. Thanks for the input.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For any of the high-capacity style Ruger magazines you really need to have a mag loader. It takes seconds to load the 25 or 30 rounds of 50 rounds. And your fingers don't hate you. I believe his Butler Creek makes the speed loader mag loader do my hickey but now Ruger makes their own version. Get it you won't regret it. And it will make you shooting experience a whole lot more fun. And like the guy above me said the Butler Creek still lips last forever about as good as the Ruger ones

Latest posts

Top Bottom