assisted living ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anyone have any experience or insight on assisted living type apartments? I need a place in or very close to moore for a cancer patient.i don't have a clue as to how they work or what they cost.just need a place for a person who can mostly do every thing for themselves but might need a little help on occasion . thanks

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
EXPENSIVE.

I don't know 100%, but I believe a few years back I was told it was $5500/month per resident, but they got a small discount for married couples. I think this was at a Sterling House. This was around a decade or more ago, so it's probably higher now. And I don't believe Medicare pays for any of it, since it's not a nursing home. Don't quote me on that, though, as it's not a field I participate in... but they are quite expensive. Some of them provide very very good care, however.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a few years back but Mom needed extra 24 hour assistance care. We tried passing the word to friends, hard to find and coridnate 24 hour care, while it lets the person stay in their environment there can be a lot of problems with this and get very expensive. The quality of people vary even with major brand companies.

There are multi-levels of assisted living depending on how mobile and how independent the person can be. Mom started out with mininal personal care and she lived in a home where she basically had her own apartment with meals served in the dining hall, laundry done, cleaning done, made sure she took her medications, made sure she was comfey for the night and woke her for breakfast. They had many activities she could choose to attend and actually enjoyed it. Really not too bad of a deal in some ways, no additional utilities, 3 decent meals a day, laundry and housekeeping, no trash to take out, entertainment, come and go as you please, and no grass to mow.

Later she progressively need more assistance and we had to move her to a place that could give her more care a couple of times to where it was a true nursing home environment. Be sure to visit the places and get a detail of what will be offered and how much it will cost. Talk with others that are visiting their loved ones as they come in and out to get more opinions.

It is a very hard thing to do with someone you love, but in the end they usually will get better 24 hour care than you or your family can give. That will ware you down. Good luck to you and your family. You must visit frequently. It is hard, time consuming, and every minute will be worth while for years to come.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a few years back but Mom needed extra 24 hour assistance care. We tried passing the word to friends, hard to find and coridnate 24 honur care, while it lets the person stay in their environment there can be a lot of problems with this and get very expensive. The quality of people vary even with major brand companies.

There are multi-levels of assisted living depending on how mobile and how independent the person can be. Mom started out with mininal personal care and she lived in a home where she basically had her own apartment with meals served in the dining hall, laundry done, cleaning done, made sure she took her medications, made sure she was comfey for the night and woke her for breakfast. They had many activities she could choose to attend and actually enjoyed it. Really not too bad of a deal in some ways, no additional utilities, 3 decent meals a day, laundry and housekeeping, no trash to take out, entertainment, come and go as you please, and no grass to mow.

Later she progressively need more assistance and we had to move her to a place that could give her more care a couple of times to where it was a true nursing home environment. Be sure to visit the places and get a detail of what will be offered and how much it will cost. Talk with others that are visiting their loved ones as they come in and out to get more opinions.

It is a very hard thing to do with someone you love, but in the end they usually will get better 24 hour care than you or your family can give. That will ware you down. Good luck to you and your family. You must visit frequently. It is hard, time consuming, and every minute will be worth while for years to come.
The first scenerio is exactly what is needed,just a little help with dailey activities and make sure takes her meds etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom