How prosecutors came to dominate the criminal-justice system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how is it possible for a 6ft person to hang from a 5ft anchor point?

I know very little to nothing about this case, so I will not comment on anything to do with it. I just wanted to answer your question I quoted.

Robin Williams hung himself with a belt wedged between the door and the door jam while seated. Very easy to conceive how someone who wants to die can hang themselves from any elevated position.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/12/robin-williams-hanged-himself-with-belt-wrist-cut/

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the really disturbing portion is the very last part in below link, when officer is reporting instance to superior .. it's completely different vs what actually happened as told by transcript and video above.

==========

He had no justification for 'extending the detention.'

Once he made the decision to issue a warning and issued said warning, there is no further justification for extending the detention. I would imagine he faces an uphill battle on this one. Unless he tries to argue he decided last minute to make the on-site arrest for the original traffic violation. Tough sell.

-- fortythirtyone, on PoliceOne
http://www.policeone.com/use-of-for...s-arrest-footage-of-woman-found-dead-in-cell/

========

The Transcript Of Sandra Bland's Arrest Is As Revealing As The Video
Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?

Posted: 07/22/2015

During the traffic stop that led to her arrest and, ultimately, her death in a Texas jail, Sandra Bland repeatedly questioned the decisions of state Trooper Brian Encinia and asserted rights she said Encinia was violating.

A close look at the police car dashcam video that recorded the exchange shows her questions had merit: Encinia at every occasion escalates the tension. He tells Bland, a Black Lives Matter activist, she's under arrest before she has even left her car, shouts at her for moving after ordering her to move, refuses to answer questions about why she's being arrested and, out of the camera's view, apparently slams her to the ground. He gets testy with her -- "Are you done?" -- when she explains after he points out she seems irritated. And, contrary to a recent Supreme Court decision, he unconstitutionally extends the traffic stop, it appears, out of spite.

The video also shows that Encina never actually ordered Bland to put out her cigarette, but rather asked her politely, to which she responded with a question. To which he answered with aggression.

At times, the confrontation becomes chaotic, but a transcript shows Bland answering the trooper's questions, asserting her rights, and, eventually, directly challenging his treatment of her -- an evaluation shared by some police officers who've watched the video.

The following exchange -- transcribed with the help of HuffPost's Matt Ramos and Dhyana Taylor -- comes after the dashcam video shows Encinia quickly driving toward the rear of Bland's car.

State Trooper Brian Encinia: Hello ma’am. We’re the Texas Highway Patrol and the reason for your stop is because you failed to signal the lane change. Do you have your driver’s license and registration with you? What’s wrong? How long have you been in Texas?

Sandra Bland: Got here just today.

Encinia: OK. Do you have a driver's license? (Pause) OK, where you headed to now? Give me a few minutes.

(Bland inaudible)

(Encinia returns to his car for several minutes, then approaches Bland again.)

Encinia: OK, ma'am. (Pause.) You OK?

Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?

Encinia: I don't know, you seem very really irritated.

Bland: I am. I really am. I feel like it's crap what I'm getting a ticket for. I was getting out of your way. You were speeding up, tailing me, so I move over and you stop me. So yeah, I am a little irritated, but that doesn’t stop you from giving me a ticket, so [inaudible] ticket.

Encinia: Are you done?

Bland: You asked me what was wrong, now I told you.

Encinia: OK.

Bland: So now I'm done, yeah.

Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?

Bland: I'm in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?

Encinia: Well you can step on out now.

Bland: I don’t have to step out of my car.

Encinia: Step out of the car.

Bland: Why am I ...

Encinia: Step out of the car!

Bland: No, you don’t have the right. No, you don't have the right.

Encinia: Step out of the car.

Bland: You do not have the right. You do not have the right to do this.

Encinia: I do have the right, now step out or I will remove you.

Bland: I refuse to talk to you other than to identify myself. [crosstalk] I am getting removed for a failure to signal?

Encinia: Step out or I will remove you. I’m giving you a lawful order.

Get out of the car now or I’m going to remove you.

Bland: And I’m calling my lawyer.

Encinia: I’m going to yank you out of here. (Reaches inside the car.)

Bland: OK, you’re going to yank me out of my car? OK, alright.

Encinia (calling in backup): 2547.

Bland: Let’s do this.

Encinia: Yeah, we’re going to. (Grabs for Bland.)

Bland: Don’t touch me!

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: Don’t touch me. Don't touch me! I’m not under arrest -- you don't have the right to take me out of the car.

Encinia: You are under arrest!

Bland: I’m under arrest? For what? For what? For what?

Encinia (to dispatch): 2547 county fm 1098 (inaudible) send me another unit. (To Bland) Get out of the car! Get out of the car now!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You're trying to give me a ticket for failure ...

Encinia: I said get out of the car!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You just opened my --

Encinia: I‘m giving you a lawful order. I’m going to drag you out of here.

Bland: So you’re threatening to drag me out of my own car?

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: And then you’re going to [crosstalk] me?

Encinia: I will light you up! Get out! Now! (Draws stun gun and points it at Bland.)

Bland: Wow. Wow. (Bland exits car.)

Encinia: Get out. Now. Get out of the car!

Bland: For a failure to signal? You’re doing all of this for a failure to signal?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-arrest-transcript_55b03a88e4b0a9b94853b1f1

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know very little to nothing about this case, so I will not comment on anything to do with it. I just wanted to answer your question I quoted.

Robin Williams hung himself with a belt wedged between the door and the door jam while seated. Very easy to conceive how someone who wants to die can hang themselves from any elevated position.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/12/robin-williams-hanged-himself-with-belt-wrist-cut/

the two cases have very little in common .. Robbin Williams had been battling with depression for years, in and out of clinics and had been treated for depression. He was in his home and had a choice of implements to go. vs Sandra Bland had no such choices and had never been treated for depression.

clinical depression is very different from feeling depressed say over a bad event. anti depression drugs like SSRI, SNRI and Triple reuptake inhibitors are known to have side effects including suicide. it's my understanding Sandra Bland was not taking anti depression medication or being treated for depression and was upbeat about landing a new job.

some are claiming the mugshot on the bottom is edited and the top one is real and vise versa
This is sickening. #SandraBland
https://twitter.com/FINEWHlNE/status/624303136325398528/photo/1
CKn4YIrWIAA7ob8.jpg

CKn4YIrWIAA7ob8.jpg

CKn4YGqWcAAI8AN.jpg

CKn4YGqWcAAI8AN.jpg

Last edited:

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the two cases have very little in common .. Robbin Williams had been battling with depression for years, in and out of clinics and had been treated for depression. He was in his home and had a choice of implements to go. vs Sandra Bland had no such choices and had never been treated for depression.

clinical depression is very different from feeling depressed say over a bad event. anti depression drugs like SSRI, SNRI and Triple reuptake inhibitors are known to have side effects including suicide. it's my understanding Sandra Bland was not taking anti depression medication or being treated for depression and was upbeat about landing a new job.

I never stated or insinuated that the two cases have anything in common. I was bringing to light a high profile suicide to answer your question about how a 6 foot tall person can hang themselves from a 5 foot tall anchor point.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The above link is to a interview with two other women that were in the jail and believe that it was suicide. Another report indicated that she was in the cell alone because the jailers beleived she might self harm.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The above link is to a interview with two other women that were in the jail and believe that it was suicide. Another report indicated that she was in the cell alone because the jailers beleived she might self harm.

regardless of how she died .. most everyone agrees that she should have never been arrested and thrown in jail to begin with.

The Supreme Court said that police may not extend an ordinary traffic stop to seek evidence of crimes unrelated to the offense that prompted officers to pull a vehicle over. Sure seems when officer handed warning ticket his jurisdiction was over except possibly for fear of personal safety. Her refusal of officer's request to extinguish cigarette doesn't remotely justify officer's actions that followed..

Rodriguez v. United States - Supreme Court

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Police Officer Involved in Deadly Cincinnati Shooting to Be Charged With Murder, Prosecutor Says
Jul 29, 2015,

a.abcnews.com_images_US_ht_ray_tensing_kb_150722_16x9_992.jpg

PHOTO: Ray Tensing is seen in this undated photo provided by the Greenhills Police Department, where he was formerly a member.

A police officer who killed a man in Cincinnati during a traffic stop will be charged with murder, the Hamilton County prosecutor said today, noting, "This was the purposeful killing of another person."

"I'm treating him like a murderer," prosecutor Joseph Deters said during a news conference when describing the warrant out for a police officer who killed Samuel DuBose, 43, earlier this month.

Footage released today from a police officer's body cam lasts about 10 minutes and shows the shooting.

“I have been doing this for 30 years," Deters said. "This is the most asinine act I have ever seen a police officer make.”

Deters said he was "shocked" when he saw the video and his heart broke for what the video would mean to the community.

"It's just bad. It's just bad what he did and it shouldn't have happened," Deters said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/university...city-braces-deadly-shooting/story?id=32760968

go to 1:55 where officer shoots Dubose in the head who then drives off to try to get away .. scene is blurred out on purpose

Last edited by a moderator:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did Ray Tensing within hours manage to make a million dollar bond?

=============

Ohio officer charged with murder pleads not guilty, released on bond
CINCINNATI

A former University of Cincinnati police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of an unarmed black man he had stopped for a missing license plate was released from jail on bond hours after an initial court appearance on Thursday.

Ray Tensing, 25, had pleaded not guilty in the death of 43-year-old Samuel DuBose before Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas Judge Megan Shanahan, who set his bond at $1 million.

Tensing was released from jail later on Thursday, according to the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts. His next court date was set for Aug. 19.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/31/us-usa-police-ohio-idUSKCN0Q31ZL20150731

Latest posts

Top Bottom