Review: HK VP9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a little history, I went through several platforms of handguns before settling on the Glock. I carried them for years, and still like the platform with the exception that my hands are small enough that I could never get a proper grip on them...close but not perfect. Nothing convinced me to switch platforms until the M&P came out. I switched to the M&P platform, and really like it. About that time I started shooting some USPSA, reloading, taking classes, got more serious about gunsmithing, and was shooting a great deal.

Then life happened. For the last couple years I didn't shoot much. I continued gunsmithing, specifically focusing on the M&P pistol and lever-action rifles; but I haven't had time to shoot.

But I'm dying to get back into USPSA, and have been reading much about the VP9. I finally rented one today and ran a couple hundred rounds through it, focusing on the comparison between the M&P and the VP9. Here are the main differences/similarities that I notice:

1. Trigger: After all the hype, I was expecting a nice trigger. The trigger on the VP9 I shot (which may or may not be stereotypical) wasn't that great. Granted, I'm used to really slick M&P triggers because I've learned how to work on them. The VP9 trigger was a little better than most stock M&P triggers; but not ground-breakingly so. That being said, it's possible that with a little work on the VP9 trigger it'd be something worth bragging about.

2. Paddle mag release: I've never owned a pistol with one, but shot a few. I like it for one main reason--I can reach it without moving my strong hand position. I can't reach any button mag release with my thumb, so I always switch the button to "lefty" position and use my strong hand middle finger to press the button. That works great on the M&P. With the Glock, it would dig into my strong hand finger when shooting and I was always scared I would accidentally press it if I gripped too hard. It would take some training to get used to the paddle mag release, but it seems more ergonomic and just easier to manipulate for me.

3. Slide release - This is the first slide release that I can reach with my thumb without changing my strong hand position. I do like that. But I'm not sure it matters. I've learned to deal with it by either sling-shotting it, coming from under the slide/frame with my weak hand thumb and middle finger (I guess a kind of under-handed sling-shot), or using my weak hand thumb to press the slide release. These methods work, but I always had the sense that maybe I was slowed down because of my reliance on my weak hand, or having to change my strong hand grip. I'm thinking that if time is the outcome of interest, I could be faster with mag releases using the VP9. Taking #2 and #3 together, the VP9's controls are the best fit to me than any pistol I've shot.

4. Recoil: I shot the VP9 side-by-side with the the M&P9 4.25". I perceive more recoil with the VP9 and I suspect it's because it appears to have a higher bore axis than the M&P. I didn't do any timed drills to determine if that perceived increase in recoil results in any measurable difference in shooting; but I get the impression that I'm back on target quicker with the M&P. This could also partly be bias to the M&P because I've shot at least 150,000 rounds through the M&P platform--maybe significantly more--and I've grown quite comfortable with it. I'd like to run 1000 rounds through the VP9 and see how I adapt to the platform.

5. Accuracy: I know some people have had issue with the M&P accuracy, but I haven't. I've been lucky in that all the M&Ps I'ved owned (compacts, 4.25", and 5" models) were accurate...consistently capable of 2" groups at 25 yards...the 5" models have, on average, been the least accurate; and the 4.25 models have been tack-drivers. Today I shot 2 groups, one with each gun at 25 yards, and both were about 2". Given the hype, maybe the VP9 will be more accurate than the M&P, on average; but I don't know. I must admit that, for me, a M&P with a stock trigger and sights is more difficult to shoot that accurate at longer ranges; but with a better trigger and sights, I've been "lucky" with mine. The VP9 sights were descent for factory sights. I'd like to see what the VP9 would do with a smoothed over trigger and better sights.

6. Size: The VP9 has a relatively large butt/grip at the bottom, in the area that prints during carry. For only having a 4.1" barrel, the butt seems a little larger than what would be ideal--it's about the same size a G17 butt/grip--but maybe that size fits a wider range of people, I'm not sure. I suspect they just wanted to keep it compatible with the P30. I'm particularly sensitive to the pointy part of the butt that prints during carry. The M&P is smaller in this area, and I suspect easier to hide than the VP9 would be.

I didn't shoot the VP9 enough to have more details/feedback than this. I'm hesitant to buy into a new platform and all the goods needed to go with it. But the VP9 may be worth the investment. Have you shot the VP9?...What are your impressions?

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had the chance yet to even handle the VP9 but I have done a TON of research on it and I'm impressed!
Now the slide is wider on it than a Glock 17 but the frame of the Glock 17 is the same width of the VP9 (in slide and frame of the VP9).
The VP9 is gonna be for sure my next full sized pistol (Although I wish they'd make it in .40).
Another tip that I learned from Massas Ayoob himself for releasing the slide is to come over the top of the slide with your other hand, and then press down on the slide release with your thumb.
Since I'm a lefty, I do that pretty much with all my pistols except a 1911.
For something like a Sig (I am a Sig fanboy) and me being a lefty, that's very helpful.
Since you tend to do some of the same things as far as releasing the slide like I do although you're right handed, that's a good piece of advice and it's A LOT faster than any other method I've tried like the ones you have mentioned.
With the paddle release/European style magazine release, I tend to use both my index finger and my thumb when I go to release it, and I don't have to change my grip so it's for a perfect release every time I need to change out mags really fast.
It's some good info I've learned and hopefully it'll help you out as well for it seems you have a little bit of trouble there my friend. 😛

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair, I'd be satisfied the pistol didn't have a slide lock at all. I put around 4000 rounds through a Glock after the slide lock broke off, and was fine with it. But for gun games, I think I'd be faster with one.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, I'd be satisfied the pistol didn't have a slide lock at all. I put around 4000 rounds through a Glock after the slide lock broke off, and was fine with it. But for gun games, I think I'd be faster with one.

Unless you're shooting IDPA you should never shoot to slide lock. Just reload before you get to that point.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're shooting IDPA you should never shoot to slide lock. Just reload before you get to that point.

Ain't that the truth! 😂 I've competed in some matches of IDPA and I'd run through the whole mag and try and think for a second on how I ought to reload the pistol.
Soooo embarrassing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't found any advantage of the VP9 over a Glock or M&P, so I'll just stick with them. YMMV