Review: HK VP9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the HK guys really like the VP9 trigger because they compare it to the (crummy)DA/SA triggers that come on most of the USP and USPC.
I went to the LEM V1 or V2 on my P2000 guns and I think they are better than DA/SA. A+ for me (although it has a lot of take up).
I personally love the paddle mag release, not having to "flip" the gun to change mags. A+ And Drives TDSA NUTTY!
HK has always had accessable slide relase levers. A+
As far as recoil, i think Glock 27 is the softest shooting handgun I've ever shot, but I don't shoot Glocks well.
As far as recoil, I thought VP9 had a low bore axis?
I've not shot or held a VP9, i have no reason to since I like the P2000 and dislike striker guns. Any reason for me to change?
I also don't shoot 100k rounds of ammo, so I'm not an operator or any of that, I just like guns.
Must be slow in Austin.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I admit I like HK, so there may be some bias there. However, I have tried and own nearly everything. M&P 9mm, Glocks, Walther PPQ, even some odd stuff like a Jericho 941 and old S&W 59 series. Despite all the options my go to gun has been a USP 9mm with a LEM/Match hybrid trigger. It's simply the gun I shoot best. I picked up a VP9 when they first started trickling in and I honestly really like it. I see the Walther PPQ as a step forward from the Glock design, and the VP9 a further step forward from the PPQ. The differences are not huge, but at least for me they are there, mostly ergonomic in nature. The VP9 has a good trigger and the controls are EXCELLENT for a meat-mitted fellow like myself. It's slowly replacing the USP for holster duty now that I've got enough ammo down the pipe to establish reliability.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just the other day I handled one at H&H. I like the layout and ergonomics of the controls and the fantastic customization of the grip. There's lots of guns I just want to take a file to or filler in certain places. The VP9 would let me do that in a way without ruining it. I just wish there was one to rent in the city so I could shoot before buying. While I didn't get to do a lot, the trigger felt much nicer than my wife's M&P.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I borrowed a friend's VP9. 700 rounds in a semi-structured format. My opinion is about the same as my original post. Compared to M&P:
- Overall, I'm a hair faster with the M&P due to faster consecutive shots...the VP9 does recoil just a bit more...but the more I shoot the VP9, the less difference I'm seeing on the timer.
- With mag changes and slide-lock-reloads, I'm faster with the VP9.
- Fullsize M&P is a little easier to conceal than the VP9, if you're considering carrying one. I am a big guy, so any extra "pokiness" shows if I'm not careful.
- Accuracy is a wash.

Conclusion: M&P, VP9, Glock, what-the-fluck-ever...just pick one and go shoot the damned thing.

heavysmoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of things I like about the VP9 the main thing I don't like is the size. If they would make a SK version like they did the p30 recently then I would be all in.