I hate CFLs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why? LED bulbs are better.

LEDs come in many shades. The soft white is just like an incandescent, only it uses a lot less energy and last longer.

The issue with me, is that LED's only come in bulbs that equal 100 watts of the incadecent.

In my barn, that is 120'X60', 100 watts is like a faint star in the galaxy.

To convert to current LED's would cost several thousands of dollars to match what a 200 watt or preferably 300 watt bulb would produce for light.

Converting to Sodium, metal halides, etc. Is not an option for cost and the voltage available, that would provide lighting with current technology, I'll stick with the incandescent for now as long as I can find them.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have a mix, but as the incandescent burn out, I'm replacing them with LED. The energy savings Is the big thing, because my wife is one the world's worst at turning them off when she leaves a room.

sent from omicron persei 8.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a mix, but as the incandescent burn out, I'm replacing them with LED. The energy savings Is the big thing, because my wife is one the world's worst at turning them off when she leaves a room.

sent from omicron persei 8.

Install motion sensors in the rooms. Comes on when you walk in, and turns off 15 seconds after the person leaves the room. Available at Lowes.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Install motion sensors in the rooms. Comes on when you walk in, and turns off 15 seconds after the person leaves the room. Available at Lowes.

What if you're sitting on the toilet for a while? Won't the lights go out then? Do you wave your arms to re-activate the lights?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hit the mother load at walmart. GE 60watt LEDs on clearance for $4 for a 2 pack. Got them at Belle Isle Wally. My entire house just went LED. Now have to decide on what to do with the can lights.

Last edited:

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if you're sitting on the toilet for a while? Won't the lights go out then? Do you wave your arms to re-activate the lights?

Yes. So make sure you add a plop detector to the bathrooms. Or flip the switch on and off real fast a couple of times halfway through your deposit.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We switched to CFL's from incandescent a few years ago. Next switch is to LED after prices go down some.

Have some outdoor LED lights and like 'em...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom