I hate CFLs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moved into a new house and now have CFL light bulbs all over the place. I hate these piles of crap. Takes a good 5 min before they actually work. I've always been an incandescent kid of guy before but they don't last as long as they used to and these new LED bulbs are a hell of a lot better than the CFL crap balls. Just kinda expensive. Is there any brand of LED to avoid or to seek out? $39 for 4 Cree bulbs is hard to take even though theoretically you should be breaking even and gaining after a couple years with reduced utility usage. Have LED bulbs lowered anyones bill?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a case from the schools robotics team. So far so good. I think I gave $7 or $8 bucks a piece and they raised money too.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the course of a year, I've replaced incadescents with LEDs at my place.

I now use about 12% of the wattage, and leave my outdoor lights on all the time.

I most recently bought these really super-bright PAR38 style LEDs for my outdoor floodlight fixtures. They are better performing, stronger, and have a wider dispersion than the halogen bulbs they replaced.

I have like 8 different fixture/bulb types, and while LEDs in general can be 50X more expensive ($0.98 vs $50), the gains in efficiency and performance will pay them back in less than 2 years.

Cree, Phillips, and Feit are good brands in my experience.

nailbender_jr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the cheap ones from Lowes (Utilitech 450lumens, 3000K color). They're about $5 apiece and use 6.5 Watts. They say they're equivalent to 40W bulbs, but they're a whole lot brighter than the 60W "equivalent" CFL. A couple years ago, they were $12. Now they're down to $4.98 and are occasionally on sale for $3.98. No complaints at all about the LEDs.

I'm with you. I hate CFLs too.

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sylvania and Phillips make great LED flood bulbs.

I replaced all my flood lights in the 10 foot ceiling areas because I am getting older and the lifetime of LED bulbs means I will never have to get on that ladder again to replace a bulb.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CFL's are really getting cheap now. Walmart has a 4 pack for 88 cents. I can only imagine how long they would last. Back in '02 i put some in our coach light outside and never turned them off. Got almost 5 years out of one. Im starting to sell a bit more LED to customers. People are still un-interested because of the upfront cost. I do have a customer that should get at least 20 years out of some floods we put in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We have nothing but CFL's in the house and outside with no issues. Don't keep your inside temps like a meat locker and they'll work fine :) :)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wait another year Byron, LEDs are getting cheaper. Just last year I bought some and they are half the price this year.
Look on amazon, that way you can read the reviews from other buyers.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use CFLs ranging from super cheap kind from Dollar General to pricier ones from Lowes. Never had an issue with them. The only difference I've noticed between them an incandescents is the energy bill.

I haven't looked at LED bulbs yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom