I hate CFLs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to see some before/after pictures that I can trust aren't photoshopped for advertising. I've got plenty of uses for LED lights out here, and I'm sure it'd be cheaper than the incandescent bulbs we're going through. Anyone using LEDs in ceiling fans?

I have used two in my garage door opener for over 1 year. I don't know if vibration is what you're worried about or not, but those have held up great. The two for my ceiling fan have not been installed yet only because the incandescents haven't burned out yet.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the buzz of some CFL's either. Our porch lights use 2 small candle type 40 watt bulbs and I can't find replacement type bulbs that are not incandescent.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the buzz of some CFL's either. Our porch lights use 2 small candle type 40 watt bulbs and I can't find replacement type bulbs that are not incandescent.
Walmart has some led candelabra bulbs.
GE I think.
That's what I installed in my porch and garage entrance fixtures.
Been a year now and the work great.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone used the LED conversions for their can lights? They cost more than just the LED bulb but the flush finish looks really nice. I have 5 can lights in the kitchen that I'm looking to change out but I'm thinking about going with the conversions vs bulbs.
I have 9 can light in my kitchen and replaced those with LED first because they are on a lot. Then my undercounter fixtures went away and got replaced with LEDs last summer. I really like them. Bathroom fixtures were also done so like Hobbs, I'm slowely changing all of my lights based on which ones get used the most.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used the LED conversions for their can lights? They cost more than just the LED bulb but the flush finish looks really nice. I have 5 can lights in the kitchen that I'm looking to change out but I'm thinking about going with the conversions vs bulbs.

This is what I went with, not the wattage I went with, but this style bulb.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are they on dimmers? I have dimmers and incandescent lights to go with them as the CFL dimmers are no bueno.

What say you dim bulb OSAers?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are they on dimmers? I have dimmers and incandescent lights to go with them as the CFL dimmers are no bueno.

What say you dim bulb OSAers?

LOL

It's best to buy a LED bulb that specifically says that it is dimmable.
I went with these Phillips for the ceiling floods

www.homedepot.com_catalog_productImages_145_f8_f8fefab7_32f5_42dc_a32d_c468c30e76af_145.jpg

2 things different as far as LED vs incandescent:

1. Incandescents can be dimmed all the way down to 0 or off.
LED can typically only be dimmed down to about 10% of their lumen capacity.

2. Incandescents change color drastically when dimmed and emit that awful orange reddish light when dimmed way down.
LED keeps pretty much the same color index all the way from max lumen to min.

Latest posts

Top Bottom