steel cased ammo in m1a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sort of old thread I know but , here's my .02. My understanding is its not recomended by Springfield. Personally , I wouldn't. These rifles are robust and tough but it would be like putting 87 octane gas in a Ferrari. Can it be done ? Yes. Save it for last ditch SHTF.

Last edited:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've fired a few hundred rounds of steel cased Tula through mine with no issues other than it being a bit dirty and smoky, along the lines of Winchester bulk ammo. Otherwise it was as accurate and consistent as any factory loaded ammo (including Lake City surplus) as any I've shot from it.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting. Good to know. I've never shot any through mine so all I could offer was just my opinion based on other peoples experiences. Mine is a national match with stainless barrel and I just can't bring myself to do it. That's just me.:screwy::anyone:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I've run across costs more than ZQ1. Almost as much as American Eagle or Winchester WB.
All of those worked in the rifle I had before the boating accident.
I saw a box of TulAmmo but it was $15 , it may have been mismarked.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brass cased 7.62 ZQ1 is $9.97/20 at Wal-Mart - has been in stock at that price for a month or so. Before that I shot mostly CBC 7.62 ($29.95/50) when I could find it, some Argentinian milsurp, some sort of "Tactical Rifle Urban" stuff from Federal, some old left-over black talons, and a whole variety of others in both .308 and 7.62. It's shot everything I've fed it reliably and reasonably accurately. If my rifle's going to be picky about ammunition I'd rather know before SHTF instead of after.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Count me in with those who shudder at the thought of cheap Commie ammo in our expensive M1As. It is the most expensive gun I've ever bought, and I'm not about to start counting pennies based on the price difference between good brass ammo and cheap steel stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom