Help removing a stuck projectile.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was over at a friend's house and he showed me a Hawken rifle he picked up from a co worker. The very first thing I did was dropped the rod to see if there was a charge. Sure enough. I removed the nipple and soaked the charge before screwing in my puller with no luck. I've searched for a Co2 tool locally but without success. Does anyone here have one around the OKC area that would be willing to blast this thing out for me?

There is some pitting around the threads. Is this worth salvaging? I'll try and get some pics up too. Thanks!

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bigass air compressor, if you want to try that. It worked for me long ago. Another option, messy but works, is to put a grease fitting in place of the nipple and start pumping.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had muzzleloaders with pitting around the nipple threads and no issues with the accuracy or performance.

I have left muzzleloaders loaded and ready to fire for over a year. did you not want to cap it and fire the projectile out?

Buddy left his 6 shooter pistol loaded for over 10 years, I was with him when he fired all the rounds off.. worked like you just loaded it.

Good luck Erik and I would try Super Dave's air compressor

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I didn't want to shoot it since he nor I knew positivity the age or load. I wouldn't have felt comfortable discharging a load from a guy that would have sold a rifle to a guy and not thought to disclose that it was loaded. I might give my air compressor a try. If that doesn't work I'll call ya Dave!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I didn't want to shoot it since he nor I knew positivity the age or load. I wouldn't have felt comfortable discharging a load from a guy that would have sold a rifle to a guy and not thought to disclose that it was loaded. I might give my air compressor a try. If that doesn't work I'll call ya Dave!

Holler whenever you like!

Latest posts

Top Bottom