Cigar Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to check out Party Moore. A couple of weeks ago, I had reason to purchase some celebratory cigars. I'd been looking to try a particular cigar that I'd been reading about for a while (Paul Stulac White Blinding Light) and the only listed retailer in the entire state for Paul Stulac happened to be ZT Cigars. Seeing as I'd already trekked up to OKC for an errand at Tinker, I decided to go check out ZT Cigars. I'm glad I did. WOW. ZT Cigars has hands down the best selection I've seen in the OKC metro area. The prices were on par with any other B&M store. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

All this being said, I suspect something may have been wrong with their humidor. When I arrived, the door to the humidor was wide open. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I simply assumed it had gotten a little too humid and that the staff was trying to adjust accordingly. After I got home I fired up the Paul Stulac. It smoked like a dry cigar. I thought maybe I just got a bad one. A few days later, I fired up a Padron (purchased at the same time as the Stulac) and it also smoked like a dry cigar (hot and fast).

Anyone know if this is typical of ZT? Was it a fluke? If it weren't for the dry cigars, I'd rate the cigar buying experience as near perfect.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to check out Party Moore. A couple of weeks ago, I had reason to purchase some celebratory cigars. I'd been looking to try a particular cigar that I'd been reading about for a while (Paul Stulac White Blinding Light) and the only listed retailer in the entire state for Paul Stulac happened to be ZT Cigars. Seeing as I'd already trekked up to OKC for an errand at Tinker, I decided to go check out ZT Cigars. I'm glad I did. WOW. ZT Cigars has hands down the best selection I've seen in the OKC metro area. The prices were on par with any other B&M store. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

All this being said, I suspect something may have been wrong with their humidor. When I arrived, the door to the humidor was wide open. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I simply assumed it had gotten a little too humid and that the staff was trying to adjust accordingly. After I got home I fired up the Paul Stulac. It smoked like a dry cigar. I thought maybe I just got a bad one. A few days later, I fired up a Padron (purchased at the same time as the Stulac) and it also smoked like a dry cigar (hot and fast).

Anyone know if this is typical of ZT? Was it a fluke? If it weren't for the dry cigars, I'd rate the cigar buying experience as near perfect.

I'm glad you had a good experience with ZT's. My aim is not to change that, but rather to answer your question.

I've bought cigars from ZT's only 4 or 5 times over the last several to 10 months so my experience with them is limited. I have not found the staff to be particularly friendly however, they are helpful but it seems I'm bothering them by asking questions. But yes, they do answer my questions. I have seen their humidor door open a couple times. I cannot help but close it because it bugs me to see an open humidor. They never stop me or reopen it, so my conclusion is someone left it open and they just don't feel like walking over to close it. Easy for me to say, but I would install some sort of auto closing device on it. But hey, I've never had a walk in humidor, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

I never smoke a cigar the same day I buy it. I always let it sit at least a week or so in my own humidor to stabilize and properly humidify. So, I can't comment on whether or not ZT's is properly humidified.

I mostly shop at and buy from The Tobacco Exchange. They are very knowledgeable and feel more like fellow enthusiasts instead of aficionados setting back in their leather-clad over-stuffed thrown. I do go to ZT's when there is something I want and it's not at Tobacco Exchange to see if they have it. Without a doubt ZT's has the bomb diggity of selection. Royal Pipes in Norman has about as good a selection though. Both Royal Pipes and Tobacco Exchange guys like to talk cigars. I have not found that to be the case at ZT's. There is also Drew's Tobacco in OKC. A decent selection even though they are half head shop, half cigar store. There is a big guy in there who's kinda young, but holy cow he knows cigars. He knows a lot of technical stuff, can educate you down to the leaf and primings and has never steered me wrong on suggestions.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good experience with ZT's. My aim is not to change that, but rather to answer your question.

I've bought cigars from ZT's only 4 or 5 times over the last several to 10 months so my experience with them is limited. I have not found the staff to be particularly friendly however, they are helpful but it seems I'm bothering them by asking questions. But yes, they do answer my questions. I have seen their humidor door open a couple times. I cannot help but close it because it bugs me to see an open humidor. They never stop me or reopen it, so my conclusion is someone left it open and they just don't feel like walking over to close it. Easy for me to say, but I would install some sort of auto closing device on it. But hey, I've never had a walk in humidor, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

I never smoke a cigar the same day I buy it. I always let it sit at least a week or so in my own humidor to stabilize and properly humidify. So, I can't comment on whether or not ZT's is properly humidified.

I mostly shop at and buy from The Tobacco Exchange. They are very knowledgeable and feel more like fellow enthusiasts instead of aficionados setting back in their leather-clad over-stuffed thrown. I do go to ZT's when there is something I want and it's not at Tobacco Exchange to see if they have it. Without a doubt ZT's has the bomb diggity of selection. Royal Pipes in Norman has about as good a selection though. Both Royal Pipes and Tobacco Exchange guys like to talk cigars. I have not found that to be the case at ZT's. There is also Drew's Tobacco in OKC. A decent selection even though they are half head shop, half cigar store. There is a big guy in there who's kinda young, but holy cow he knows cigars. He knows a lot of technical stuff, can educate you down to the leaf and primings and has never steered me wrong on suggestions.

See, I never smoke one the same day either, unless I buy it from a store with a walk in humidor. Then I (probably wrongly) assume that they knew what they were doing and not letting the sticks dry out. I'm in Norman every day and Royal Pipe isn't in the same league as ZT when it comes to selection. That being said, the people at Royal Pipe/Cohiba lounge are very friendly and love to talk cigars.

Lesson learned. Nothing from ZT gets smoked till it's been in my humidor for at least a week to ten days. Maybe longer if it's a big ring gauge.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never purchased from ZT. I have been in their store when it was on Meridan and looked around. When they moved up on Britton I thought about renting a locker from them. I even took a tour of their back room/ smoking room and didn't get a good vibe from them....so I didn't rent/lease a locker.

I use to rent a humidified locker at The Tobacco Exchange but now that I'm down to smoking a box in two months...I just don't really need a locker. My desk top does the trick for me.

I still go to Tobacco Exchange once in a while and drink, B.S., and smoke a few.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I smoked a Paul Stulac White Blinding Light and a Padron 3000 Maduro about a week ago (different days). I meant to write a review much sooner, but I've just been too busy. Since so much time has passed since then, and since today is also stupidly busy for me, I'll try to knock out VERY quick reviews for both of them in one post.

The Paul Stulac was something I'd been wanting to try as it uses an Ecuador Habano wrapper with a Sumatra Binder. I'm a huge fan of the wrappers coming out of Ecuador and of the Sumatra wrappers. Since this cigar was using one of my favorite wrapper leaves as a wrapper, and the other as a binder, it had me curious. The cigar uses nicaraguan filler and is hand rolled in Miami.

Construction was pretty good. The stogie had a good draw and maintained a slightly wavy burn line that never got out of control. Seeing as it was one of the sticks I'd gotten from ZT, it smoked like a dry cigar. Hot and fast. It seemed a bit warm for a stick of such a large gauge (I think it was 52 or 54), and I only got about 50-55 minutes out of it (6 inches in length). This being said, it should be mentioned that the ash held on for over 2 inches. I kid you not. I only had to ash the cigar twice.

The flavor was absolutely amazing. I can only imagine how good this cigar must be when properly humidified. Flavors of red pepper, chocolate, and cedar took turns blasting my palate. I never knew exactly what the next puff was going to bring and I enjoyed the ride. This cigar isn't cheap ($11) but I'd put it up against an Opus X, Ashton ESG (or VSG), or Fuente Anejo any day of the week. Seriously, it was that good.

Now for the Padron. Ok, I hate to admit this, but I've been wrong about Padrons for years now. I'd never had one as I tend to stay away from things that are hyped as much as these cigars. It's been my experience that most things just don't live up to the hype. I finally gave in and purchased the Padron 3000 Maduro on a whim and dang I'm glad I did.

Mind you, this is just a cheap entry level Padron. I picked it up at ZT for $6. It's the best $6 cigar I've ever smoked, hands down, but here in a few days I'll be trying a Fuente Sun grown that may give it some competition. The only other cigar I've ever had for $6 or less that could come close is the Perdomo Champagne Sungrown.

Anyway, the burn on this baby was absolutely flawless. It maintained a razor sharp burn line and had a nice easy draw. The flavor profile was one dimensional, but as I've said before, that doesn't bother me if the one dimension is good. The flavor on this stick is outstanding. The dominant flavors to me were a decadent cocoa coupled with a sweet cinnamon. It was like smoking a dessert. I'll definitely be buying more Padrons in the near future. If the entry level smokes are this good, I can't wait to try the pricey ones they offer for special occasions. I wish the thing would have had a bit more of a spicey kick, but that's a minor nitpick. Seriously, I'm now a Padron fan.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I am needing some help. My humidor seems to not be able to hold over 60% humidity. I've treated the box twice in the last 2 months with distilled water and a clean, unscented sponge. I'm thinking this humidor is just poor quality and doesn't hold a seal. It's a Thompson and Co 50ct humidor. No frills. I have 3 Humi-Care Pillows in there for 35 cigars (which seems like overkill, but I'm trying to get the humidity up to about 65%). Have any of you experienced having a junk humidor? Anything further I can do other than buy a new one?

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_17_798357021a661da6a3ac7aec52eaed77.jpg

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I am needing some help. My humidor seems to not be able to hold over 60% humidity. I've treated the box twice in the last 2 months with distilled water and a clean, unscented sponge. I'm thinking this humidor is just poor quality and doesn't hold a seal. It's a Thompson and Co 50ct humidor. No frills. I have 3 Humi-Care Pillows in there for 35 cigars (which seems like overkill, but I'm trying to get the humidity up to about 65%). Have any of you experienced having a junk humidor? Anything further I can do other than buy a new one?

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_17_798357021a661da6a3ac7aec52eaed77.jpg

Well, how much do you trust your hygrometer? I can tell you my humidor was struggling to hold humidity through the winter but now that spring is here it's working like a champ. Have you tested your hygro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, how much do you trust your hygrometer? I can tell you my humidor was struggling to hold humidity through the winter but now that spring is here it's working like a champ. Have you tested your hygro?

I don't, per se. This is a new shipment of cigars, so I'm giving the humidor a second chance to see if it holds. May just purchase another hygro. Not entirely sure I want to move on to a digital.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moving to a xikar digital was one of the best moves I've made. I doubted it this winter, but threw it in a ziplock bag with a Boveda and it was spot on. Turns out the humi was having a hard time with dry winter air. I upped the amount of beads I use to compensate. Zero issues this spring.

ETA: analog hygros that come with inexpensive humis are notorious for being inaccurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom