2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just finished building this structure, it will house my bucket garden. All the buckets are daisy-chained with irrigation tubing, and will be self-watering. Most of the water during the summer will be supplied by my A/C unit. The condensation tube is in my backyard...last year I put a bucket under it and it made over 10 gallons of water a day. The structure provides the level surface needed for the bucket system, the sun screen will help protect the plants from getting burnt up, and provide some hail protection. I will run strings vertically and tie off the vines to the strings. This setup has room for 24 buckets.
View attachment 45423 View attachment 45424

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good. I will be re-doing my garden area this year after getting a few other things finished, nothing special planned so far just the typical ground garden. We tried a raised pallet garden last year and I hate it, so back to normal this year.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished building this structure, it will house my bucket garden. All the buckets are daisy-chained with irrigation tubing, and will be self-watering. Most of the water during the summer will be supplied by my A/C unit. The condensation tube is in my backyard...last year I put a bucket under it and it made over 10 gallons of water a day. The structure provides the level surface needed for the bucket system, the sun screen will help protect the plants from getting burnt up, and provide some hail protection. I will run strings vertically and tie off the vines to the strings. This setup has room for 24 buckets.
View attachment 45423 View attachment 45424

Awesome!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ours ready also. Garden is a fenced in area beside the shop building with a tilled area 6x40. Have not had a garden for a couple years, but very tired of cardboard tomatoes and veggies that rot almost before you get them home from the store.

It has heavy clay soil that I had tried to work in sand, mulch, sawdust, manure, etc over the years that did not help a lot. Took a soil sample to OSU a couple months ago and adjusted items they recommended best I could and tilled it in, so it should be balanced better, but we still have the clay base.

Then last week my neighbor talked me into taking his 26ft flat bed trailer to pick up a load of mushroom compost. I put about 6 inches of that compost on and re-tilled a couple of times mixing about 6 inches of my original soil in with it. Letting it simmer, and will re-till before planting. Hope it will loosen it up without burning the plants. Mushroom compost is not supposed to be too hot and will help reduce my phorhorus and potassium that we are still a little high on.

Wifey is planting a Garden Tower for 50 or so small plant on the carport. It is in the garage right now with the composting worms at 63' getting started. We will see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone with their garden.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co
Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co Shipment Notification - Order #100563743

Thank you for your recent purchase from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. We are pleased to inform you that on 1/28/2015 the following items have been processed. Your order will be shipped within the next couple of days.

Shipped To:
EFsDad
Tulsa, OK
United States

Emmer Wheat
SKU: GS134

Hog Brains Cowpea
SKU: CW164

Envy Soya Bean
SKU: SY101

Romanesco Italia Broccoli
SKU: BR104

Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts
SKU: BS101

Muncher Cucumber
SKU: CU174

Cape Gooseberry
SKU: GR108

Dishcloth or Luffa Gourd
SKU: AG103

Grandma Edna's Cherokee Long Pod Okra
SKU: OK138

Eagle Pass Okra
SKU: OK133

Country Gentleman Sweet Corn
SKU: CN105

Blue Goose Cowpea
SKU: CW103

Craig's Grande Jalapeno Pepper
SKU: HPP150

Canary Bell Pepper
SKU: PP191

Golias Squash (Pumpkin)
SKU: SQ299

Long Milky Way - Moon and Stars Watermelon
SKU: WM153

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting ours ready also. Garden is a fenced in area beside the shop building with a tilled area 6x40. Have not had a garden for a couple years, but very tired of cardboard tomatoes and veggies that rot almost before you get them home from the store.

It has heavy clay soil that I had tried to work in sand, mulch, sawdust, manure, etc over the years that did not help a lot. Took a soil sample to OSU a couple months ago and adjusted items they recommended best I could and tilled it in, so it should be balanced better, but we still have the clay base.

Then last week my neighbor talked me into taking his 26ft flat bed trailer to pick up a load of mushroom compost. I put about 6 inches of that compost on and re-tilled a couple of times mixing about 6 inches of my original soil in with it. Letting it simmer, and will re-till before planting. Hope it will loosen it up without burning the plants. Mushroom compost is not supposed to be too hot and will help reduce my phorhorus and potassium that we are still a little high on.

Wifey is planting a Garden Tower for 50 or so small plant on the carport. It is in the garage right now with the composting worms at 63' getting started. We will see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone with their garden.
PM Deer Slayer on here. He may be able to help you with soil amendments that will help breakdown that clay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom