New Streaming Option For Cordcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deserves its own thread...

Dish now has a seperate streaming TV service called Sling Tv.

For $20 a month you can stream these channels

ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food, HGTV, Travel, Disney, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, CNN, Go Television

For an additional $5 you can add

ESPNU, SEC Network, ESPN News, Bases Loaded, ESPN Buzzer Beater, Goal Line, beinHDsport, Universal sports.

So if the need for ESPN is what's keeping you tied to the cable company you now have an alternative option.

It's a monthly fee with no contracts. You can cancel at any time.
I'm thinking I will add it during football season for the games on ESPN and cancel after football ends.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My Uverse is being cut off tomorrow. I have a $30 flat wall mount antenna that pulls in 33 channels, Amazon Fire TV with Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu.
I have much the same.

Channel master OTA DVR to record local programming, amazon prime for streaming.
I really think the sling option will work out well for me during football season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are on Direct, and looking at the new smart TV's. From what I understand, hang the TV on the wall, plug in, and stream via wi-fi to the TV with no cords needed.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have much the same.

Channel master OTA DVR to record local programming, amazon prime for streaming.
I really think the sling option will work out well for me during football season.
Can you give a review on the Channel Master. Does it record in HD? How is the channel guide?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you give a review on the Channel Master. Does it record in HD? How is the channel guide?

Sure I can.
I really enjoy it.
No subscription fees at all.

It records the mpeg2 stream intact so playback is identical to live television bit for bit.
It has a 14 day program guide by Rovi.
You can schedule recordings in multiples ways including new episodes only.
They are going to be adding a firmware update in March that adds linear internet streaming that adds a lot of internet content.

Here is a pic of what the guide looks like with the linear streaming added.

dceffd432fc7672b7928dc4332ceeda71951d237a7e2212142200b105cada3dd_large

Channels 1 - 99 are the local OTA channels.
Channels 200 - 299 are the normal streaming channels that you usually register for or subscribe to
Channels 300 and above will be the new linear streaming channels.

I recommend you buy the base unit without HD for $250 and add a USB powered external drive for storage.
You will save some money on the drive that way and you can buy the drive size you need.
I bought the $250 base unit and added a 1TB external USB seagate drive for another $55.

It is still a work in progress so it does have some rough edges but they release firmware updates regularly and it has just gotten better and better.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing that stinks is having to rely on our ISP (windstream) which for lack of a better word sucks, and COX isn't much better here in BA.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting and would be worthwhile if you need sports and can't get them on locals, with that said it would be a waste for us since only three of the channels would be watched and out of that probably only one regularly which is TNT.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing that stinks is having to rely on our ISP (windstream) which for lack of a better word sucks, and COX isn't much better here in BA.

Same problem here.

My only affordable internet option is Windstream's horrible service. So i'm still stuck with dish/directv for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom