RIP G2 ammuniton..what is it with this stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what is it with this stuff. As much as it costs, this stuff may actually kill people all by itself. I know it really is a killer bullet design, However, if you believed everything you read about it, you would think it was dangerous just sitting on the shelf. You actually may not need the firearm, just a box of this stuff and you are safe as Jesus himself was holding your hand. Ok, I kid, but good lord it is steeply priced. There is No 9mm, .40, or .45 round that is freaking deadly, reliable, gold plated, buffs my nuts good, that I would pay over a dollar a round. If it is the only thing on the shelf, I will shoot (my stash actually) but FMJ before I payed for the latest greatest new fangled, stop dead when you see the ammo stuff.

rant off. I actually don't care a rip...but thought you might get a giggle.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the guys really bragging up the RIP G2 asked me I could reload some .270 Winchester Short Mag ammo for him. I said I don't have the dies. He asked, after I mentioned I needed to reload some .300 Win and .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. ammo. He asked, it doesn't use the same dies?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my take on the stuff. I wouldn't run it as defense ammo if it was a nickel a round. It's light for caliber by design. The gaping hole in the center may be great for expansion but at the cost of weight. Weight means momentum once it's on its way and low momentum means poor penetration. The round by design fragments into smaller sections so now your light for caliber to start with bullet is now 5 different even lighter portions of what once was whole. So no you've got several different projectiles making several small wound channels none of which will likely result in a through and through.

Overall regardless of the marketing if you look at it for what it is the science is extremely underwhelming. Does it look cool? Sure does. Does it perform? I'm betting my life it's not as effective as heavy for caliber Federal Hydrashok or Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Duty.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This crap is a joke. But apparently idiots keep paying the $40 it costs for 9mm. I will stick to my 147 grain hst's. I just noticed on either ammo to go or ammunition depot that g2 has now released the .223 bullet. They are billing it the same way as they are the pistol round. More overpriced junk for idiots to buy.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't heard hype like this since the Black Talons were on the market.

I agree gents. I still subscribe to the school of, if I run out of premium Hp, then a fmj has killed a bunch of folks really dead. Increase your odds with high quality ammo, but even lrn reloads killed a bunch of cowboys and indians back in the day, and that was with black powder. I do have to give props to the maker of Dead Right There for their clever name. DRT, really.

Latest posts

Top Bottom