I'm a gill-gun addict

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Top to bottom:

1950 Savage 6A
1949 Stevens 87A
1946-1948 Springfield 87A
1951 Ward's Western Field 87-SB87-TA

i.imgur.com_6QqPAW0.jpg

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice collection!
I have an 87a like your 49. Always was an accurate rifle but as long as I can remember, the only way to use it was to push the bolt knob in and keep it from firing in semi-auto....basically turning it into a straight pull bolt gun. It would jam EVERY time someone tried to fire it in semi-auto. It would throw the empty out but the cartridge lifter comes up with such force it bends the fresh cartridge in the middle....to about a 45 degree bend. Operate it manually and it works fine. So...it has become a rifle just to look at.
Do you suppose it could be a very weak bolt spring allowing the bolt to fly back faster than it should?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....It would jam EVERY time someone tried to fire it in semi-auto. It would throw the empty out but the cartridge lifter comes up with such force it bends the fresh cartridge in the middle....to about a 45 degree bend. Operate it manually and it works fine. So...it has become a rifle just to look at.
Do you suppose it could be a very weak bolt spring allowing the bolt to fly back faster than it should?

There are a few common causes for jams in gill guns.

The chamber gets really dirty and requires agressive cleaning with a brush and solvent

or, the lifter stop gets bent down so that the lifter stops too soon, and the new bullet doesn't get lifted far enough up into the gun

or, the lifter stop gets bent UP so that the lifter goes too far. (I'm guessing this one may be your issue)

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have my son's 87A (Springfield) apart cleaning it. Same problem. Thanks for the advice. I will check that out when I get home after work. Royal Bee-atch to get an unspent round out safely. Gun does shoot good when it works. It went full auto (2 rounds) before it jammed in semi mode.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's an extraction issue be sure to look and not only the extractors (those can get really worn) but also the indents that they go into on both sides of the chamber. If the indents are full of grit and gunk the extractors cannot flex properly to latch onto the rim of the cartridge.

Honestly tho, the #1 issue I have come across on not only my own rifles but those of others is that is that they are just plain dirty (even filthy at times). A good thorough cleaning of the bolt (paying attention to the firing pin channel), bolt face (getting gunk out from under the extractor teeth), firing pin, hammer and springs, end cap (you'd be surprised at the gunk that can be in there and it will affect your bolt travel), lifter assembly, chamber (pay attention the indents on either side next to the throat), and receiver, often do wonders for the functionality of these old rifles.

Oh, and don't over oil the bolt. Just a drop or 2 of oil wiped on the whole assembly works well for me. To much oil and it will get dirty in a hurry.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful set of rifles! And your spot on about the dirty, seems people years ago, thought they would just run and run and they would for many, many rounds with no glitches. Then they sit for years and the nasty stuff turns into thick gunk!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 87A that I believe was made in the 30s. It was given to me about 40 years ago by a family friend after they suffered a house fire. (gave me all the fire damaged guns, 87A & Savage Hornet were salvageable) Looks horrible and shoots great. I shot thousands of rounds through it. Haven't shot it in years and have considered restoring it. Need to take it out for old times sake but my eyes don't do as well with those buckhorn sights as they did 40 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom