DEMANDING a thank you for a gift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may depend on your family dynamics and his family dynamics. This may have been the way he was raised, his father was raised, and his father before him. Play the game, then open the present and call him again and say thank you for what it was. He may not live a long time and it would be bad if latter you thought back and did not feel you gave him the support he needed. Just a suggestion. Words are just words.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why not just call him and thank him for the gift end of story and it's a non issue.
sheesh!

That's exactly what happens. Every time. Without fail. I keep the butthurt to my self. This particular time the gift was for my daughter, his step-granddaughter. She actually sat down and wrote a thank you note to him by herself. Put that little task into context: this was a birthday present for her 14th birthday. . .so yeah, she has her head on straight.

And yes, my dad does think I'm an ungrateful bastard - but that's another story altogether. I think his a crotchety old fart, so we're on even ground there. (and we love each other dearly, see each other regularly and enjoy each others company most of the time).

But the question remains. Take the last sentence out of my original post. forget the scenario. just answer that one question. It's a question of etiquette and respect.
The question isn't about whether you not the recipient should express gratefulness (of course they should!), it's about whether the giver of the gift has the right to, pretty much, demand a thank you and in a way tag an obligation onto the gift, essentially removing the ability of the recipient to thank them on their own accord.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My dad passed away 12 years ago tomorrow, born Feb 28, 1947.....died Feb 28, 2003.........never got to see or enjoy any of his grandkids......my kids never got to see or enjoy their grandpa........so I say enjoy the your dad's quirks while he's still around :)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I decided to write my mother a letter and thank her for raising me as she did and instilling the values in me that I needed. (Of course, this was way before e-mail and texting.) After she passed away, we were going through all of her stuff and one note that was in her will was that I was to get the big family bible. When I sat down to look through the bible (folks store strange things in bibles), I found my letter. She had taken it and had it laminated so that it would last her a long time.

Write the thank you note. For some reason, he values that, so at least honor him with the formality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom