.223 Overall Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of loading some .224 Hornady 68 grain BTHP bullets in .223 for use in a Ruger Mini-14 - can anyone tell me the correct overall length for this combination?

Thanks!

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Hornady site says 2.235 for the Sierra 69 grain. I will try around 2.250 and experiment with moving them out a little at a time. I'm trying CFE223 in the mini for the first time; I shot some in my .223 Mini-Mauser bolt gun with 40 grain bullets and it was OK, but not as good as Benchmark. Might be better with the heavier bullet in the semi-auto.

CFE223 works well for me in .22-250 - probably the most accurate load I've used in my '69 vintage 700 Remington is CFE223 and Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing.

Cedar Creek

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 223 in a variety of weapons, in the contender family I have to reduce the charge from what I load for the semi autos. If I don't, i get some pretty obvious pressure signs. Those same rounds in the semi's are just where they should be, and in the bolt guns they are hot but not as hot as the contender. Depends on the chamber dimensions and whether the action bleeds any pressure off in its cycle. They bullet manufacturer will normally give the overall length for its bullet/powder combinaiton, the main criteria being that it will feed without snagging on the magazine and that you can eject a loaded round without any problem.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for right in the 2.250" range. Manufacturer should have guidance, but that's what I've used for a first stab with 69grs in a bolt gun. As a data point, FGMM 69gr COAL is 2.250" also.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When reloading start jammed if applicable, which in your case start as long as the magazine will allow. If that happens to be jammed then great if not that is also fine, but work your way back from there... It is a great habit to get into and is safe practice.

Loading for semi-auto rifles I always start as long as the magazine will allow and work my way backwards.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded the bullets to fit the magazine and they cycle great. That's what I did years ago when I loaded for my Remington 742 .30-06; so far the accuracy level is about the same, but I keep reminding myself I killed several deer with that old 742. I guess there's a built-in paradigm shift when you go from bolt to auto instead of from auto to bolt. At least to the Mini 14, I guess - I loaded for my son-in-law's AR and it's quite accurate.

:fullauto:

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom